Private Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I was formerly in Northern VA, in the suburbs of Washington DC, there were many who charged $100 / hour, and more if they came to your home. As I don't know all the tutors in that area, I'm not sayin' all charged that much, and I'm not sayin' others than me charged any less. Some were working instrumental music teachers in the school systems and others were performers in the reknown local symphonies, orchestras and military bands. It was one from the Navy band through a local music store that tutored my daughter about 30 years ago and then the hourly rate charged was $25.00 ... and it was worth every dollar and coin thereof.

I take the attitude even now that if I were to engage a different tutor every six months for as long as I can play the remainder of my life, I would learn something from every one of them. There's a story about my attitude as when I first became disabled some may want me to tell, but I'll hold off until there is a request that I tell it ... although it is in a different art than music.

2. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    That's awesome. Such different times. I agree your teacher must of been of top quality.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, that's my opinion also ... and when anyone thinks their's is, it contributes much to their success.

Now you know why I'm a Sousa "freak" and without any "sticks" (drums or conductor's baton) or metronome to maintain tempo, I recorded The Stars and Stripes, Forever! coincidentally with the exact same track time as the USMC "President's Own" of 3 minutes and 38 seconds, and I was playing all parts on multiple instruments including my transposition of the original C piccolo part to my Schilke P5-4. Too, since high school I've been playing Julius Fucik's Entry of The Gladiators aka Grande Marche Chromatique since high school, as is one of my favs. This last is the song played at the Greatest Show On Earth when the clowns enter the ring. If you, or anyone, can finger fast try this last ... its a real challenge for speed.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    $30 is OK. The advantage to Cindy, she is performing regularly and survival on stage is for sure part of the lesson. Another advantage by taking local lessons, if you are good, teachers can help you find work. Internet lessons want your money, but the relationship has little advantage.

Here is Cindy's band:
    The Mariachi Divas

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Rowuk is right on the relationship part. That is a very important part of the deal. It can lead to meeting others that you can make music with and improve your playing, or enlarge your horizons. $30/hr is a great deal, everything considered. You don't have to have a lesson every week. I take one every 3 weeks or so, my teacher loads me up with a bunch of work and guidance, then we meet again. He knows I practice, so discipline is not an issue. Old brain and body are much more of a problem than attitude or willingness to do the work in my case...

6. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Yeah i have seen her perform live about 4 times. Here trumpet section is seriously a beast. Rowuk, I agree with you. Such cheap price could be because she is consistently performing, although She just had a baby. So she might of been away for a while. Whatever it might be I'm gonna do my best. Thanks for your input man.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The $30 is a GREAT PRICE. I was paying $20 for an hour lesson back in 1979-1981 when studying with Claudio Roditi in NYC; so you are getting a FABULOUS price. Have fun, have great fun!!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, cool signature line guadarrama. Hippocrates is my hero! I have a saying too, but it does not get nearlly as much air play as the Hippster:

"You can live without your lover, but you cannot love without your liver" Not sure why it's not up there with the Hipp man, but I'm thinking it is a close second!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course you never said how you met her -- or decided to take lessons from her. COULD IT BE --- that Cindy has heard about you, and understands that you have a great amount of potential? --- and by giving you affordable lessons she can help turn you into an awesome performer??? Just a thought, that maybe you are part of what she can do to give back to society --- take a student, and turn him into a performer -- and that way the world will be better off. So perhaps it is NOT totally about the money -- but rather on doing something awesome for you and the world in general.

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The value of lessons with the right teacher is worth more than $. Take lessons with the best teacher you can afford,practice, and perform as often as possible.