Private teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I would like the name of proffesional aroun Nashville, Tennessee that teach privately and are willingt o teahc a high school age kid. IF yuo know of any could you please post there name and there e-mail address please. Thanks.

2. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    You might try Adam Rapa. He has a new online teaching system called ibrass. Check it out at http://www.adamrapa.com. Also, check out some of his youtube content. He is amazing. Also, your first lesson is 1.5 hours and the cost is only $75! Good luck.

3. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    $50 an hour? Is this for the first one to make sure you are committed, or are they all this expensive?

4. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I can't speak for him. I am just relaying information I saw on his web site a couple days ago. You should check it out for yourself, but my understanding is that all lessons are $75 and the first one has an extra 30 minutes built in to deal with technical problems and to get aquainted. visit his web site at www.adamrapa.com and check out the ibrass tab to get all of your questions answered. Also, you will get lots of video clips of him performing and a really cool bio.

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    All I know about him is that he is a MONSTER player. I don't know about teaching, but I'm sure he's great. But wow is he a great player. I have his album.

6. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    he has some cool relaxation drill I have been trying out for the past 3 days. I have not been playing steady for quite some time so I am REALLY out of shape. It sux! (anyone have a good get in shape routine?) I found a couple links on youtube of Rapa demonstrating these drills.
    Here are some links: YouTube - Adam Rapa - Mouthpiece buzzing
    YouTube - Adam Rapa - Halfstep Bends
    YouTube - Adam Rapa - Play Down As You Go Up
    Here is another link to an amazing performance: YouTube - Adam Rapa - Song for Jozak

The drills have really helped me. When I first broke out my horn I barely had a crappy sounding high C. Now it sounds really good and I have a weak D. When I get in a little better shape (at least a G (thats where I got to in college bfore I quit school to chase after the mortgage industry)) I am going to start w/him or Lynn Nicholson (1.5 hour drive).

My high school trumpet teacher just had a lesson w/Nicholson last week. He said it blew his mind. That guy is SICK! Anyways... enjoy the clips and good luck.

7. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Lol, best bet is to practice. Only go for about 30 min at a time. as for endurance, if you have max schlossberg's daily Drills, do ex. 6 qtr=60 and take breaths thru your nose to minimize changes in your embochure, my professor had me work on that a few years ago (which i regrettibly did not do) but man, you can feel it. He told me not to do it more than maybe 1 or 2 times a week until it becomes easier and then bump it up to 3 and later 4 etc. to where you can play it all this way 2+ times a day.

(hmm, maybe I should start doing thiss again:dontknow:)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing against Adam, but finding a LOCAL teacher is the only beginning that makes any sense. The internet is great when you have most of the important stuff down. There is nothing that equals on on one together in the same room, ears working in both direction, not over some scrawny PC microphone and speakers.

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I agree with Robin... also, $50 an hour is pretty inexpensive... my teacher gets $60 per or $35 for a half, and he is VERY competitive in this area.

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I don't know of Adam so I am not saying yea or nay, but remember there are other teachers in the Nashville area. Call the university see who the trumpet teacher is and call them. If they can't teach you possibly they can make a more educated recommendation, as they are in the Nashville area and probably know more teachers that can help you. I would also call the Nashville symphony or look on their website for one of the players with them. Very possibly they teach as well. Our principal here in Indianapolis also teaches high schoolers. Yes, lessons are not cheap with these folks, but as with instruments you get what you pay for.