"pro"level trumpet vs "student" level trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by coolerdave, Mar 25, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    SOoooo, how many clams does a redo like that run and say one valve needed replating and a few dents removed? Just sayin'...

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Student horns are made for parents that don't want to invest in a better instrument (regardless of the reason) cause Johnny or Suzie won't play beyond middle school. I see C'list Yammie 2335's listed all too often and the parent thinks, " I paid 1000 bucks and it was rarely played, I'll sell it for $800 (cuz it retails for more!!). Doesn't happen around here. If it's perfect, maybe $300.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    PM sent.

4. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi

Hello Ivan...I saw this tonight...and yes the owner would be happy to expand here. ( thats's me )

3 months ago I bought a 57 LA Olds Ambassador. After playing it 90 days, I knew it needed some mods'. First thought was as new( bigger ) leadpipe to as they say open up the sound. To the point..I own a Jaeger-Diamond since Oct 2010. To diverge: I have owned many trumpets over 40 years of playing, ( except Monette, Lawler, ). Also I have spent 1000's on mods too. 2-3 tuneable bell setup on a few horns.Change this change that. Best way I can describe Ivan's Jaeger trumpets, is that they are " Giant Killers "

Stainless steel valves, on and on. The Jaeger is 2 men spending 100's of hours doing every mod possible. With a 7 day trial, you cant lose. The sound is wonderful..I play next to a Schilke, a Calicchio, a Bach 37. My sound carries to back wall,,,and I can hear myself with NO problem, no matter how loud it gets.

Back to the OLDS. So before I started another project, I called Ivan and told him what I had, what was on my mind. I also said I did not want to throw good money over bad. He suggested the braces be changed, an ultrasonic cleaning...and polishing the inside of the leadpipe.

I sent it last week, and the job is already done. He really does turn work around fast! I've had the horn for 2 days, and I am blown away with the change. What Ivan suggested I do; no more no less..has really made a huge difference...did I mention he does a valve Alignment with the cleaning. I am huge on doing this,,it makes a positive difference. Some may balk...this is my opinion. I cannot be happier, as he said, lets do this, and see how you like it.

I played it last night at a church rehearsal for Sunday the whole night. I highly recommend Ivan's work. He is very very fair for labor, the work is fast...and you have someone with a ton of experience to enhance your instrument. He did some work on my Yamaha Flugel too last year...open it up even more.

I am sending my Jaeger One for the lead pipe brace mod. and the newer receiver. The way the Jaeger's are made now. Can wait for that.

All I am doing is giving credit where its do. And he certainly deserves it!