Pro-Oil Hybrid

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jcmacman, Feb 19, 2004.

1. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Any one use this valve oil?
    How does it compare with Bynak, Al Cass etc....

Thanks

John

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I use it on all my piston horns; the best thing I have found.

Does not gum up like Al Crass, does not smell or taste like kerosene.

Great for tight fitting valves.

mike

3. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Thanks Mikey.
    Did you have any problems with cleaning the valves?

John

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I first started using Hybrid when I got my Monettes. At the time, Monette recommended Hybrid as the best oil to use for new, tight valves.

After I went back to conventional horns, I kept using Hybrid. BUT, I found that before I could use Hybrid, I had to completely clean the horn, and get the old oil out of the valve casing. I use regular lemon Joy dishwashing liquid. Squirt some in each valve casing, then use a valve casing brush. As for the valves themselves, I rinse them off under warm water, put some liquid Joy in the palm of my hand, then rub the soap all over the outside of each valve. It seems to de-oil them very well.

Then, Hybrid works well. It must be something in the formula that is not compatible with full petrolium-based oils...

Someday, I may try H2Oil from Reeves, but as they say, "If it aint broke"..........

:-)

Mike

5. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Thanks again Mickey.
    The horn's getting a bath tonight.

John

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    One more thing about this cleaning process........

After you use the dish soap on the valves and casings, rinse everything off real good. Then, let the valves air dry.

Put a few drops of Hybrid on each valve, and slowly work them into the casings. You may find that the valve action may be a little stiff at first, as the vavles are dry. Add a liberal amount of oil, whatever it takes to get the valves working smoothly.

Mike

7. Leatherlip

Leatherlip New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Great stuff. I use it on all my horns including rotary valves. As Mikey says "Cleaning is the key when switching". If you don't, you won't like the oil, as it doesn't mix. For me, the H2O didn't feel as smooth, even after a good cleaning from the Pro oil. But, I have very tight valves.

Shop around for prices too. I found it can vary by a few bucks, but is right in line with the other quality name oils.

Enjoy

Bill

8. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Binak is also a synthetic oil. Are Binak and Pro-oil Hybrid interchangable, do you think? Neither will mix with petroleum based oils.

And has anyone compared Binak with Pro-oil Hybrid? Are they about the same or does one have an advantage over the other?

9. Leatherlip

Leatherlip New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    S.T. I tried Binak when it first came out and it was pretty bad stuff. I tried to get the 4 bottles of 495 replaced, as I heard on TH, that they did
    have problems. To answer your question, I would clean everything real good as Mikey said, before I switched to any different oil. Hybrid Pro Oil
    was my fix for Binak. Here is a viscosity chart, but doesn't show Binak.

Products Viscosity (cSt)

WATER 1.00
    MINERAL SPIRITS 1.34
    CLARK TERRY 1.83
    BENGE 1.99
    BLUE JUICE 1.99
    PLAYERS 2.15
    JUPITER 2.20
    ROCHE-THOMAS 2.31
    HOLTON 2.38
    HYBRID 141-A7 3.02
    PRO-OIL RED 3.61
    SPACE FILLER II 3.72
    AL CASS 3.73
    PRO-OIL BLUE 3.80
    SPACE FILLER I 5.10
    SLIDE (for trombones) 5.12
    ALISYN 7.59
    http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/micat/1995/msg00017.html

Regards
    Bill :)

10. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Thanks for the info, Bill.

I used Holton for years and always had good luck with it. A couple of years ago I tried Binak Pro, and have been using it ever since. Nannet over at Binak did have a batch of valve oil, which was mixed from a wrong recipe, slip through into distribution right after the stuff came out. But she replaced all that for anyone who notified her they had a bottle of the bad oil. I've been using the same bottle of Binak Pro for about a year and a half, and it's not empty yet. So I'm pretty happy with it. But it's not the fastest oil I have ever used, just the longest lasting. It's plenty fast enough tho.