Pro trumpet comparison issues.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FutureBC, Aug 13, 2009.

1. FutureBC

FutureBC Pianissimo User

Jul 25, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Is there really a difference in the professional Yamaha trumpets and the Xeno?
    I was just wondering if a Strad was in the same class as the Xeno or Pro Yamaha.

2. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I don't know about those brands, but I know that there is a difference between pro trumpets and other kinds. Pro trumpets are just better, and more musical than other types, especially student models. Student models sound like tone generating machines.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Can't simplify so easily. Student horns are designed to be sturdy and more "resistant" to provide what the beginner cannot with an undeveloped embouchure. As the player develops there is a point at which the student horn becomes an obstacle and a pro-style horn is needed. But a pro horn in beginner hands is also an obstacle at that level, as a student horn is designed to be easier for the beginner to play.

Yamaha's "pro" horns like the Chicago and NY artist, the Vizzutti artist, are top of the line instruments with prices to match. But Yammie's pro horns start at the 6xxx series, and continue through the 8xxx before you get to the aforementioned artist models. The Xeno, the Shew, the LA Bergeron models, are all excellent professional trumpets. Still they are over $1000 list less than the artists. If you play at a very advanced level you will be able to decipher the difference $1000 makes, but otherwise you will probably not be able to run out of playing room on the cheaper ones.

v

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You have to be careful with Bachs. If you find a good one they are great. In my opinion the Yamahas have better quality control. Over the last 2 decades their designs have given Bach stiff competition. In my opinion the horns that Bob Malone designs for Yamaha are better than the Bachs.

5. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    Yamaha has a "pro line" and a "xeno line" I belive what is what futurebc is asking is the differnce between these two yamaha trumpet lines. I do not have a awnser for you future but I hope this clears the question up for any one that does know.

6. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The Xeno line is a pro horn and the 9000 series are artist designed pro horns. As for the 6-8000 line, these are artist designed horns for the commercial player, primarily, where the 9000 artist designs are most often sought after in more legit settings. I know that Wayne Bergeron put a great deal of thought and give and take to the 8335 while the Shew 8310Z, which I play more most others went through a number of incarnations under the supervision of Bobby Shew, with input from Bob Malone. In addition, Shew and Malone can do tweaks to the horns their customers purchase to allow them to perform to the peak of their design. For a freer blow, the Eric Miyashiro model is excellent. I say, for more than a thousand less, the 8000 series is an amazing bargain.

Ed

7. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    The line futurebc is talking about is the 6000 series. It's called the "proffesional line" it's not as good as the Xeno (my baby!). I've never played one so I can only tell you hear say.

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You've never played one and you know it's not as good? I spent two hours playing them all the NAMM show and they're all wonderful.

9. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    The futurebc just wanted to know if there was differnce between the xeno and the lower pro horn
    I said all I have is hear say, and that's how the yamaha web site talks about it, I never said that it wouldent be a good horn, I play a ytr 2335 for marching and it is still a nice quality horn and that's yamahas bottom of their line. All yamaha horns are good quality and Their upper horns are fantastic.
    Futurebc, the Bach strad is in the same class with the xeno, I forgot to say that earlyer

10. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    Sorry for all the grammer problems in that last post, I forgot to proof read it to after I posted it.