Pro trumpet comparison issues.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FutureBC, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    Shoot! I fogot to say one other thing! Edmann, the proline is the 6335 and 6345 not the shew horn or the 6010(I think that's it's number, maybe that is the shew horns number)those there are also some where up there in the awsomeness of the xeno lol. Futurebc if your were talking about the shew horn or Chicago horn (or other ones) then Edmann's post is right on the money, I'm confused on which horn line your talking about now that I've read threw the thread again.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If you don't know what you are talking about.....DON'T ANSWER!

If you haven't played the horns in question.....DON'T ANSWER!

This site is a wealth of information when used correctly.

Don't throw your rumors and hear say answers to a person who comes for a knowledgable answer to his questions.

Speak with Authority or DON'T SPEAK AT ALL!

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's important to keep in mind that what really makes a trumpet a "pro" horn is if a player can get professional-level results out of it, not the model name or number, not the manufacturer, not the fact that other pros may be playing that same horn.

It's also important to remember that what one pro plays beautifully on another pro may hate and sound lousy on.

My advice is not to get hung up on the model names and numbers and makers and go to the nearest large music store and try as many as you can, using your current mouthpiece and playing the same music (scales, lyric etude such as Concone, technical etude such as Charlier or Arban -- not necessarily the complete things but enough to get a feel for the instrument) on each instrument. That's the only way to really know which horn will be best for you.

Give me Allan Vizzuti's horn and I'll still sound like myself, give him my horn and he'll still sound like Allan Vizzuti.

4. FutureBC

FutureBC Pianissimo User

Jul 25, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Thats all I needed to know.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I Second this instruction!!!! And, I would add one more...

PLEASE PHRASE YOUR QUESTION SO THAT OTHERS DO NOT NEED TO MIND-READ WHAT YOU ARE ASKING AND THROW IN WILD-A**-GUESSES FOR ANSWERS!!
    (Yes, I am yelling!)

P.S. Let's make this a 'sticky'!!

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The 6335 and 6345 are medium weight with conventional leadpipes. the 6310Z, 6320 and 6340 are lightweight with reverse leadpipes, successors to the 3 digit series which were designed by Schilke. I have played all of them at various times, they are all excellent instruments each with a different blow and resistance.

When Yamaha got serious about competing with Bach they came out with the "Heavywall" series (6335H, 6345H, etc) followed by the HII series and finally replaced with the Xeno (8335 etc) series.

They took notice of Bob Malone's cottage industry of modifying Yamahas and Bachs and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. The rest is history. BTW I recently played a friend's 8335RG and thought it was terrific.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ed, Where would one find out more about this "history"? If it is not in a convenient form, maybe you could start a new thread and put in the above information about the model differences and also the Bob Malone history. It seems like this is the sort of thing that many of us spend a lot of time on this (and other) forums searching for and we need to wade through a lot of speculation and misinformation to find the authoritative sources.

Thanks.

P.S. I have a 232. It is a very nice trumpet. What is the actual difference between it and the 4-digit successor models?