probably discussed before. Arbans

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CRRuwbDLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That is the Arbans I had before. I sold it when i sold my trumpet. I rang up the store for an Arbans and they said they get the latest edition stuff. Which Arbans is best? Is there changed content, like excercises, songs etc or is the only difference some of the explanations given while the exercises, classical songs etc are all the same?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I haven't seen the latest edition, but I'd guess they haven't changed much (at least where it counts) over the last 75-100 years...:D

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The biggest difference I've seen in the Arban editions is the number of translations for text. Mine is from the 80s, and has the text translated into 5 or 6 languages. The edition I borrowed from the library at work is the edition you have pictured, and the only difference is there are fewer translations to the text.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Some of the new ones come with a cd, which can be handy but I've never used it much. As said earlier, all the important stuff is the same, it's just the packaging/appearance/accessories that have changed. Get whichever they have in stock.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You can get an online version of Arban that has been updated by Pops McLaughlin that takes the exercises further, which is apparently very good.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's still big and heavy! Fuschia cover on mine!

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think mine is the ugly blue & teal/grren one, but might be the red circle one... dunno, the cover has been gone for 25 yrs!

***EDIT***
    Upon further inspection there is still a shred of the cover on the spine. It's the RED one! I know I had the green one in 1980.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, I don't know any more which edition I bought - because I took mine to a bookbinders and had it bound in calf. Was a bit of expense, but whereas Arbans usually last five years at most due to shoddy binding, mine has been in pristine condition for the last 24 years (despite daily use).

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Go to the store. Take a peek at the typesetting. Buy the one that is easiest to read if there's no large price difference. I'm supposing all the stuff should be in there.

I bought the Vizutti version a few years back when it was new. I don't use it. Dislike the type face.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a good idea to check the typeface. I bought a book with very good info but the font was too small. The music bars where much smaller and very difficult to read. Don't use it!