Problem buzzing the higher notes.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JPNSR, Feb 13, 2015.

1. JPNSR

JPNSR New Friend

Sep 13, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Greetings everyone,
    I am a 68 year old amateur who has been playing for about 2 years. I usually have two thirty minute session per day. On most days after a 3 - 4 minute warm up, I play songs that call for notes up to the G above the staff without difficulty. However some sessions inexplicably I am unable to play above the E (top space in staff). The failed attempts involve the loss of the buzz. Is it normal to have "bad emboucher days"?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely. Until a stable embouchure is developed over time and with experience, bad embouchure days will happen. Once you no longer experience this, your embouchure is well toned and every day becomes a good day; AND If your mind is prepared, a great day.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way JPNSR: Welcome to TM.

4. Old Bugle Boy

Old Bugle Boy Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2015
    North Yorkshire
    Phew - that's a weight off ...

5. Old Bugle Boy

Old Bugle Boy Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2015
    North Yorkshire
    So this is not you then JPNSR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa3RI5uRdfg

(Sorry - made me laugh this .._)

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You've been playing two years and are just now asking this question? I don't think you've got a problem at all. ;-)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Common chop killers for those without well defined practice habits:
    black tea before a practice session: tea has tannic acid, makes my lips less responsive
    A bag of potato chips the night before: messes up hydration
    Hard practice session or performance the day before: increases face tension, makes things less predictable
    Anti histamines/histamines: mess with hydration the lips feel like rubber

The solution is a maintenance program that focusses on getting the lips to "ignite" without excess tension or force. Long tones, lipslurs, easy tunes like out of a hymnbook.

On tough days, taking a hot shower before practicing can work WONDERS!

8. JPNSR

JPNSR New Friend

Sep 13, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    One of you gentlemen suggested that I was trying too hard to hit the high notes. Sure enough I have found that by reducing the mouthpiece pressure and attempting to hit the higher notes with the lips instead I am able to avoid those "bad emboucher days". I can now play consistently up to the G above the staff and hope to improve with time and practise and reduced mouthpiece pressure.
    Thanks to everyone for your advice,
    JPSR