Problem hitting one note (not high)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kakeflekk, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I had a nagging problem that was caused by the water key corks on a Conn Coprion Director. The 2nd valve sounded AWFUL in any range ! Any combination of valves not using 2nd valve sounded beautiful. I put my finger over both water key holes and everything sounded great. Replace your corks to start with and don't go through the aggravation that I went through.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    sometimes you can flip the cork around until you have the time to get it replaced .. if you heat it up with a lighter you can pop it out.. as long as yoy don't catch the cork on fire

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I vote to get the cork fixed pronto and go from there. Have the inside checked for any obsructions . Do this before you mess with a mpc/embouchure change. Of course if the cork was that bad it would affect the C too some too. If that doesn't fix the problem find a chop doc such as myself. It's not that hard to fix, but don't do it on your own.

4. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Maybe try a different fingering, just the first valve.

5. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    My teacher told me the other day there was a famous trumpet player (I forget his name) who felt he was terrible at F on top of the staff. Some people came and watched him practice one time (with his permission of course) and they said all he did for an hour straight was play an F. It was boring, but after that I'm sure he had no trouble with it.

And of course sing it, buzz it on the mouthpiece, all that good stuff. If that doesn't what, play D's. Over and over again.