Problem slurring down to notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mallik503, Jun 15, 2015.

1. mallik503

mallik503 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    Hello, so i am having trouble when i slur down to notes. Im not sure if its lack or air support or vowel shape. Please help

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Relax. Your trying to hard

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try the vowel shape "aaaaaah" and drop your jaw. We should be able (with a good trumpet) to get the low notes to "bark."

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Probably this. If you want to improve your ability to slur downward, then work on it, every single day. Many times there is no trick or technique that someone can tell you about that is going to fix it, and the solution lies in spending the time in the woodshed working on it, dialing it in yourself.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Relaxing is key. It takes much more air volume to sound a lower note than a higher. So relaxing the embouchure and opening it up will give you this greater air volume. I have dropped my jaw at a lot of comments Vulgano Brother has posted, and his post once again is jaw dropping right on target. That's why he is a moderator and I, well I am just a physician that plays trumpet.

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try the vowel shape "aaaaaah" and dropping your jaw nevertheless, mallik503. Fine tune it from there.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Don't forget to maintain breath support. If you back off on your air while slurring downward, the note will not be crisp and solid, and it might not sound at all.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Are you talking about low notes, or slurring from one note (somewhere in the staff, say) down to another (perhaps also in the staff)? Are you trying to do a glissando by slurring down through the notes? Is your concern that you are "hanging on" to a note while trying to slur down, then it "jumps" or "drops" down to a lower note (perhaps imperfectly) while missing some or all of the notes in between?

--bumblebee

9. mallik503

mallik503 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    when doing lip slurs i tend to miss the lower note. C G B f#.....or when i am doing g to B with the 1 3 fingering i get to the B just fine but going back down is the problem

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You're missing slurs from C and B in the staff? Sounds like you aren't hearing the intervals. Memorize the sound of C and G and aim for the right pitch. Transpose chromatically downwards.