Problem tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CWOVette, Jan 26, 2014.

1. CWOVette

CWOVette New Friend

Jan 24, 2014
    I am 41 and I am trying to get back into my trumpet playing. I high school, I played on a Bach 20C. I did well on it and my range was great. It took years for me to find out that I should have been playing on a bigger mouth piece because I have big lips. So I have gone to a 1B. My range I gone but my tone is great. As I build up my playing, I am noticing that when I single tongue, my tongue is going in between my teeth. Is this correct? I not, how do I change it. I have never been able to double or triple tongue. Thanks.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Vette. Welcome to Trumpet Master. Enjoy it here and dont take any advice we give you too seriously, including mine. We are lousy here with comeback players so we have gotten this sort of question before. Normally I feel that giving specific advice is risky because it all boils down to what works for you but since its not working for you then I'l chime in. Going from a 20c to a 1b is a huge change and you are still on the comeback trail so dont sweat the range thing. Why did you choose a 1b? Its nice to hear that you are happy with your tone, thats one less thing to worry about. As for the tounging thing, using your current method I imagine it sounds kind of mushy and not crisp. The normally accepted way is for the toung to touch the roof of the mouth just behind the top teeth or even the back of the teeth at the top. This should give a clean cut off of airflow and make the release and attack of the notes more alike like they should be. You can practice this any time, all day long, just so long as your friends and co-workers are ok with you saying "to to to to to to to to to to to" all of the time. When you pick up your horn make a conscious effort to "to to to" the notes and not "th th th". Double tounging is "tu ku tu ku" and triple is normally "tu tu ku tu tu ku". Start out slowly on the multiple tounging and increase the speed till it falls apart. Practice, practice, practice. Im sure you will be fine. Best wishes.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I too had the tongue through teeth issue. The cleanest sound is what you're after, that is usually done the way Larry described. Slow, slow, and slow is what I found and LOTS of repetition to clean up the sloppiness. Welcome to the forum. There are other ways to tongue you can explore but I don't find the sound as crisp.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You have already been given a way to tongue using "to". I would also suggest that if you find it easier to use "tah" or "dah" then do that. The "dah" tongue is a little softer attack, but sometimes we don't want to knock the sound all the way against the back wall.

5. CWOVette

CWOVette New Friend

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks for the response. I went with the 1B because I had an instructor that let me try out his 1C and I loved the tone. It was easier to tongue on. It felt like I was going to swallow the 20C when I went back to it. I wanted a quick fix to getting some range in high school. I played on a Schilkie 6A4A because I wanted to be like Bill Chase. It worked well until I had to play etudes that involved a lot of tonguing. Just want to get back to a solid C above middle C. Time to put in some work.

6. CWOVette

CWOVette New Friend

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks for the response.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you like the 1B, I suppose I shouldn't say anything, but holy crap! :lol: Going from a 20C to a 1B? I'd at least try a few other mid-sized pieces before I set about trying to play something that large. Sure, a 1B sounds great. but you need some serious chops and a lot of upkeep to play a piece that large as your all-around mouthpiece.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    But isn't bigger better? :roll:

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    concerning tonguing ... try using less tongue and more air. There are a few different schools of thought on the placement of the tongue.
    pg 125 of the Arbans is a great tonguing exercise.
    concerning the mouthpiece ... that is a pretty large piece.. and yes I am sure you get a big sound with it. I think alot depends on how much practice time you have available and what your goals are.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I tongue from a variety of spots including through the teeth (spitting a rasp seed off the top lip which for me is extremely clean) I also draw it back behind the teeth in the more common tu articulation depending on what I am doing, where I am in my range and the attack I want.