Problem with frail lips - I try to take it easy, but it's not helping much

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Mmm... all I can say is I will not take that large of a playing load, until I gradually build my playing up again. When I get a break from playing in a few weeks I'm going to take advantage.

I'm quite sure I don't have a cyst/nodule. I don't think it's THAT bad... it's not like I feel pain as soon as I play...

I do feel like my B2 monette mouthpiece is a bit too large, though. I ought to try a smaller one. Whether that will help prevent lip damage, I'm not sure.

I asked my teacher about bad habits... the biggest problem was playing too tense, but the past couple months I've really learned to relax when I play.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think the main problem really was the 4-year break and then suddenly playing hard. I'm quite sure my embouchure didn't change since I never went more than 3 months without playing.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I think you should have your oral and perioral tissues checked out by a doctor. If you're having persistent trouble with recurrent zits, which can be a killer as regards your trumpet playing, a topical daily application of a drug called Clindoxyl should keep them at bay. Recurrent cold sores(herpes virus infection) can also be a problem. But perhaps your problem is mainly focussed around the fact that you're trying to hard and causing tissue damage to your perioral soft tissues. Anyway good luck.:thumbsup:

Michael Troster MD, FRCPC.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is my second post on this thread. I concur with Dr. Troster. You also have input from TrumpetMD. So 3 physicians are concerned, 2 recommend seeing a physician (I recommend an oral surgeon). So 3 out of 3 doctors think you have a problem that is unlikely to be solved with this post. Do update the three of us to what the physician you chose to see thinks is causing your symptoms.

Good Luck,
    Gary M. Onady MD, PhD
    Professor of Internal Medicine
    Professor of Pediatrics

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am NOT a doctor but have refrained from giving advice because I think your next step is obvious and I can offer no workaround.

Once you have a clean bill of health, there are certainly things that you can do to improve. If there are any physical/medical issues however, you will only conciously/subconsciously compensate and most likely ruin positive embouchure habits. Our bodies do not like pain.

So, continuing to play may not only be avoiding an important medical decision, it may also be destroying your ability to play.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you still need motivation to see a doctor
    . a story I have avoided mentioning
    I knew a very good player in college.. who like you had a zit on his lip... popped it
    kept playing on it and SPLIT HIS LIP WIDE OPEN because the infection weakened the tissue .. I swear this is true.
    he went to the doctor and had it worked on .. then didn't play a note for 6 months
    started up again.. lip split open again.
    now he cant' play trumpet, probably forever.
    the only good that came out of this was he was so depressed he quit college to go into business and made alot of money .. met a girl who also had a lot of money (as in Fortune 500 company money).. they didn't let the other person know they each were loaded until after the got engaged..
    but the trumpet part of his life..over
    please... see a doctor

6. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    Oh my that was nasty and very disturbing. I shudder when I think about that...

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That is why I held off mentioning it. I would be a sick person to make up a story like that.

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    My biggest worry is when I see the physician they will find absolutely nothing wrong. I'm also a little worried I will not be able to get this covered by insurance. Perhaps I should say "I feel pain on my lips", not "I feel pain on my lips when playing the trumpet", lol, and hopefully my insurance will cover it. But, all right, I'll concede.... I'll go and visit one. Thanks, guys.

And it just occurred to me, I'm wondering if I am playing too low on the mouthpiece? When I play for a while sometimes I feel pressure against my upper TEETH, and I am suspecting it is due to pressure on part my face itself, the part just ABOVE the upper lip. I need to check a mirror... Can this be "Normal", or there are any successful players that you know of that play like this?

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Have you had any dental work done or wisdom teeth removed? Teeth can "float" after you have dental work and cause issues with chops.

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I don't know what you mean by "floating" teeth. ?

No dental work; I had some wisdom teeth removed a couple years ago during the 4-year section where I did not play as much. Actually, I think I was playing a couple hours per week even after I got my wisdom teeth out and was playing just fine. I don't see how wisdom teeth removal makes any difference...