Problem with frail lips - I try to take it easy, but it's not helping much

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Apr 5, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Toward answering your questions:

I could have become allergic to it recently due to suddenly playing on it a lot?
    Yes.

Do you think switching to a silver mouthpiece would solve it?
    No, I am afraid any alloy (not pure silver I believe) could have been in the original mouth piece so I would avoid all metal just to be sure.

Or do I need to use the wood mouthpiece to test this theory?
    Yes, I would totally change to eliminate any possible metal alloy that could contribute to contact dermatitis (especially nickel and copper). AND wax the wood mouthpiece.

OR play on your original metal mouthpiece a half hour before you leave to see your physician consultant, which is OPTION 2. Changing mouthpieces is OPTION 1.

2. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    It's nice to see the medical professionals in the forum.

I'm curious, do you guys have any suggestions for recurring cold sores? I tend to have break outs maybe every 2-3 months or so and at times back to back. After its usual course of about a week, then there is about another week of the area fully healing and not being as tender - so much lost practice time and the constant fear that one may appear around the time of a performance.

In recent times I have decided not to play during outbreaks unless necessary especially since this results in some level of scaring. Interestingly as well, after playing through a bad break out about a year ago, I noticed that hair follicles (well thats what I assume they are - small bumps - about 4 of them) ended up on the very edge of the tissue of my upper lip. They weren't there before the breakout but seemed to developed during the healing process. They dont hurt or anything, just feel a bit irritated sometimes when I practice a lot. Just thought I'd mention it.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have this suggestion:

Lysine, 500 mg orally, once a day.

See also the link below that refers you to a randomized control study out of Indiana University:

Lysine Cold Sores - InfoBarrel

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    and check out your mouthpiece... I never knew it but it seems silver is a prety common irritating factor..hence the gold ones

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Frail Lips - get a lip stick :shock:;-) My Grandma had frail legs and a stick worked for her.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I did mention mouthpieceexperiments above, but this is a sporadic problem, and not given the impression these sores are correlated to playing the trumpet. For this reason, I do not think the sores are originate from trumpet playing, but rather a separate problem that impacts on trumpet playing.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I actually think that as well... but just put it out there,

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks again for the help.

I've talked to my teacher about lip surgery and all that, and he said everybody he knows who's gotten surgery on their lips still had the same problems playing the trumpet....he recommended against that.

I contacted an allergist/dermatologist, and even with insurance the deductible is $250! Meaning insurance is basically useless for just one visit.... too expensive! :shock:

You know what's interesting, though? I haven't played my trumpet for 16 days and my upper lip is still feeling a little bit of, um, "heat", as if it's still a little irritated? :dontknow: It's pretty subtle, so I'm not sure if it's normal for somebody with "healing" lips. I also realized that the top-center of my upper-lip is no longer red.... it was constantly red before during the school year, I have come to realize. It was hard to tell if that "redness" was normal or not during that time, but considering I can really see a difference now I would wager it was not normal.

Also, I've never felt pain on my lower lip, fyi... it seems like all the metallic allergy problems I've read about also affected the lower lip....

I plan to go about 50 days without playing.... and then when I get back to playing I'll see what happens. I shouldn't be playing nearly as much as last year, too....

So, if I find the mouthpiece is still irritating when I get back to playing, what's better to try, a plastic mp or a wooden mp? Just to finally verify if it's caused by allergies.

If you have any more objections or comments I'll appreciate those.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think you decision is sound. It may take this long for allergic reactions to resolve. I would recommend the wood mouthpiece treated with wax as recommended in a previous rowuk post related to wood mouthpieces. Do let us know how this works out.

If the problem lip swelling persists, I hate to say it, but you may want to see an ENT physician. Look forward to your reply.