problem with notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andrew_cz, May 11, 2011.

1. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Hello again,

I found free technical sheets and i dont understand what means stuff below the notes.

Iam low skilled in english so i really dont know what C# = ; B = ; etc means.

Can someone explain it to me?

I play notes 6 times as they wrote there. But what next? its something about scales?

there is URL: http://www.legie.net/Technical_Study.pdf

Thanks!
    Andrew

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the lines on the staff are from bottom up -- E, G, B, D, F (Every Good Boy Does Fine), and the spaces in the staff are from bottom up F, A, C, E -
    The half steps are in between - Eb (1/2 step between E and F - etc.
    YOU need a better book.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Do you know anything about music notation on any instrument - such as a piano? If not, you need a basic music book - not for the trumpet. The trumpet is a very hard instrument to learn when you already know how to read music. So, find a good starting piano book. Better yet, get a trumpet teacher who can help you with both.

Good luck.

4. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic

I know about music notation - iam studying 2nd year on university, playing trumpet for long time. But really have no idea how to pracc this studies, i can play it very smooth and fast. But still dont get what it means. Maybe its just bad english :<

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Actually, your English is quite good. I think it is just a matter of specific words to convey the question about music. Can you scan a page with an example of the notation that concerns you and post an image here so we can better understand?

[I failed to look at the .PDF file linked in the first post but as Craigph says, it does not have the notation mentioned...]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    The PDF you linked to does not have stuff below the notes. Do you mean a different PDF?

I think maybe andrew_cz is referring to chord symbols (usually written above not below the staff). That is what is sounds like to me. It is a jazz kind of technical study you are referring to? If they are chord symbols and you are just using it as a technical study don't worry about them.

7. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic
  8. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic

ye, there is no stuff below, i pasted wrong link.

www.legie.net/Technical_And_Scale_Studies.pdf

here

9. Trumpet_Teacher_276

Trumpet_Teacher_276 New Friend

May 16, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Andrew,

I am familiar with this book. I actually studied with Jay at the Hartt School of Music. The note letters under the exercise represent the different keys the exercise should be transposed to. The quarter note equals is for you to track your tempo progress.

Hope this helps!

Vinny:-)

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    It probably means that you play first time in C, then from C# above and then from B below etc...