problem with spit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi. I have two questions regarding spit.

1. Is it normal for spit to leak here where the red circle is:

[​IMG]

2. I have excessive spit during tongue vibratio and durink takatakataka staccato, how to overcame that?

thank you in advance.

bye

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use Vaseline on the slides, and this should stop any minor spit drips, and stil allow for easy movement of the tuning slide. If you still have leaks, then have the slide checked by a technician. Is it loose?

Cheers

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    1)It is not normal for anything to come out of the area where the red circle is. This bis a flaw.

2) I'm guessing you have a back up of spit (in your mouth) when you're executing the staccato and vibrato causing problems. If so, tilt the horn down to let the spit drain while you play to the first water key or swallow during a rest.

Question? can you explain tongue vibrato a little.

4. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    it is that rrrrrrrr thing, that you do with your tongue

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    BTW chet, normally this is called flutter tonguing

6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    thanks,

I am sorry for misunderstanding I'm not native english speaker so I struggle a bit with this specific words

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Try Schilke slide greas on your slides. It's thicker than vaseline. If the tuning slide still leaks, Youll need to have it tightened. Any repair shop can do this. It's cheap and quick. If you're slides are leaking wate, than they are also leaking air.

8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Chet fan, I too had the same problem a while back until I brought my trumpet in for some fixing. Your local instrument repair guy can easily fix this! All he/she does is expand that tube so it fits snugly in place.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    [​IMG]

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chet,
    like dogs, we tend to keep our tongues moist. That is why we move more spit when tonguing.

The way to minimize the spit is to practice tonguing a lot more. That lets us get the same "articulation" with less tongue movement. That makes us faster and dryer.