Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    wow that"s cold .Why is it sometimes you call yourself Champ when you act like a Chump! If your a grown man and your talking this way to a kid your the idiot!

2. Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2007
    Berea, OH

Astro-Glide? Seemed to work when you had the "incident" with the Coke bottle.....:oops:

FO' SHIZZLE!!!!!!!

Love,
    Huggy Daddy

3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Thank you!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    as I explained to you before, there are many inconsistencies in your posts, your playing, understanding and now writing style. I think you are reading us very wrongly - if there was no emotion we would not bother at all.

Maybe really a troll just trying to play with TMers. I guess you do have an audience.................. :thumbdown:

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Maybe. You wouldn't know. Maybe you are a troll rowuk we don't know?

6. Fidel

Fidel New Friend

Mar 21, 2008
    An old school brass instrument repair man said take the valve out, put some Brasso on it, put it back in with the bottom of the valve into the bottom of the valve casing and GENTLY lap it in. Not too much.
    As Brasso is a cleaning agent and mildly abrasive it gets all the crap or imperfections out.
    Give the horn a good bath and clean with a snake, rinse it out to make sure it's spotless.
    I did this on a Conn 80A cornet that had newly replated valves. The first valve was slow to return. This method worked an absolute treat, no more slow valves!
    The key is to be gentle and don't overdo it, essentially you are just cleaning it and making sure the surfaces of valve and casing like each other.
    You should NOT approach it as though you are abrading these surfaces although in reality that's what you're doing VERY slightly.
    Cheaply made horns are another thing. I have seen some very dubious creations that do not even qualify as musical instruments. These should be totally avoided as they are beyond help and should be banned.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    DO NOT USE BRASSO - it is much much too coarse for this job - even a Chinese instrument does not deserve that sort of abuse - use jeweller's rouge by preference, or as I do - normal toothpaste. Toothpaste is a polish with a very fine grit - it will be a little more difficult to wash out than rouge or Brasso, but it does work and does the minimum damage. Yes, what you're intending will take metal off - so you are damaging the instrument ever so slightly. Turn the valve 1/8 of a turn as you push it gently into the valve casing and turn it back that same 1/8 as you draw it out - try 50 repetitions - that should be enough. Mixing the toothpaste with a bit of valve oil (it won't actually mix) helps provide a reasonable carry for the abrasive. Take extreme care.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Not at all likely - everything ROWUK offers can be substantiated.

9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Rowuk is an esteemed member of TM.

10. mystrumpet

mystrumpet Piano User

Nov 25, 2007
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Just ask Huggy Bear! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.