Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Let's see:

Rowuk = 4,218 posts and a verified TM moderator with credentials. :thumbsup:

Hitman = 151 posts of questionable nature who may be a troll. :dontknow:

Whom should we trust as being truthful?

I would go with Rowuk! :grouphug:

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Fidel

Fidel New Friend

Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks for the toothpaste tip, the Brasso thing was stressed VERY Gentle, the guy who told me actully teaches an instrument repair course! Anyway toothpaste sounds like a much better option, again VERY gentle.
    Regarding chinese instruments, some might be ok but some are not musical instruments and deserve to be hammered flat with a lump hammer and nailed to the gatepost as a warning. This might save budding trumpet players months of grief and frustration.

3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    watever i dont care its not a war

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The toothpaste tip - you're very welcome.

'.. hammered flat with a lump hammer .." now there's a turn of phrase. :roll:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  5. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Man, this is one long *** thread on a valve problem!lol Did you at least fix it Hitman???

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Hitman shoulda' bought a Bach trumpet instead of the trumpet he is having trouble with. It has been a long story for sure!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    lol yer i fixed the problem. lol there is actually more discussion about other stuff in this thread. If you read it all you will see the discussions.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Speaking of Chinese instruments - I watched the opening ceremony for the 2008 Beijing Paralympics last night - I quite liked the trumpet solo - I wonder where THAT instrument was made? I also wonder if he has any trouble with his 1st valve? :oops: Perhaps this should be a new thread. Mr. Administrator, please transfer this to a more appropriate forum if you think it warranted.

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    the problem is fixed now. It was dirty. Anyway my next trumpet will be a Bach. What would you suggest Tedh1951 considering your an Aussie and Aussie prices and begginer trumpets etc

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman,

The way I did it (and this may not be right for you) was to try many different horns. Often ones that had been recommended by respected sources. I tried every single trumpet at the largest local music centre - I travelled to Brisbane and assessed all the instruments at the country's largest music retailer, I played second hand instruments and others used by players at a Jerry Nowak workshop - over a long weekend. I read everything I could (before I discovered TM) on the trumpets that sat in my price range.

Ultimately I settled on a Getzen 700SP, figuring that it was the best for the price, and commenced negotiations with Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center (Centre) - purchasing by mail order (this process is fraught with danger). There are lots of hidden costs but I believe my final purchase cost was about 40% less than I could buy the same horn in Australia. I won't make a recommendation except to say that this process (and trumpet) worked exceptionally well, for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.