Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Yer that's good. i will look into Billy Hydes one day.

The trumpet i got now is ok. Just with the valve but that's fixed now. i like it cause its light as well which i can reach higher notes easier. For the price it is pretty good. My teacher likes it as well he said he has seen some that cost $600 but don't play as good. you know, it is the person that makes the instrument sound good. Yes?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    a very good post and my feelings exactly.

TM posters, can we get back on thread?

The valve issue has been covered in adequate depth.
    We know that cheap trumpets can have mechanical problems, that beginners may not have a great hand position and that proper care and feeding of the instrument can limit problems.

Maybe one piece of information not yet posted: new valves are not "shiny". The lapping process actually gives them a slightly "rough" finish on purpose. It actually reduces the surface area contactling the valve casing and provides mini "reservoirs" of oil. If the valves were perfectly smooth, the oil could get "pushed" out of the way and not properly isolate both surfaces. The lapped surface will wear after a while and give an indication as to how the player pushes the valve down.

For any REAL trumpet player, the first instrument is merely a stepping stone to the next one!

Whether the Bach is the optimal next horn depends on the results of the research that each player does. I'll bet that most purchases made are blind (no play before you pay, no real research) and that there is a lot of BS posted on the internet about the decision making process.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

I would not be so sure about that. While all Monel valves I have seen are far from "shiny", my piccolo trumpet from spada (which I am not sure weather it got spiri or bauerfeind stainless steel valves) were shine when I got it one year ago, and still are. Not that I care, as far as they move fast...

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Thank you Imf, that is exactly what he should of done!lol

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer i dont know much about this. But i can say that my trumpet is fixed now and im learnign pretty fast

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Good grief; I thought that Robin had put this thread to sleep. I now hope that it does die.

OLDLOU>>

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hitman has informed us well that the valve is OK, :shock:,
    so may be a couple of well founded sentences about fast air, venturies,
    jet engines, carburators and garden hoses
    would slow down this thread? ROFL

Just asking. It could be a good idea. May be.....or not

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Fast air had the capacity to slow down TM threads? That's a discovery worth for a Nobel Prize! Now, does a slow thread/lousy subject produces fast air? Or maybe everlasting HDCs?

9. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Maybe

10. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway

not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.