Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well i dont wanna wash it because im worried if it wrecks. Plus its new its clean. If i put it in water wont it rust? Oh with the cloth thing i do keep a cloth with the trumpet. The cloth came with the trumpet.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    brass doesn't rust. Crud in the horn (last nights dinner) can slow the valve action down. When I talk about running a rag through the valve casing, I mean you take the valve completely out, unscrew the bottom cap and with a chopstick, pencil or some other smooth non metal rod, you push the rag completely through the casing taking the dirt and moisture with it. Then you wipe down the valve, oil it and reinsert it in the casing, carefully screw on the caps and then do the next valve.

Just oiling on top of the old oil and crud is not good!

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hitman:

Honest question. If you have no intention of taking sound advice, why do you keep asking for it in the first place?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DS,
    Hitman will soon discover why we so strongly advocate a good teacher. Playing trumpet sounds cool until you figure out how much work it is. It gets cool again with a good teacher in about 2 months. With no teacher, the horn becomes dustable in 6 months.

I consider this to be an experiment. Hitman has asked essentially EVERY question that comes up in the first lesson that I give. Unfortunately, my vocabulary is not adaptable to the internet. I am a hands, eyes and ears on type of person. I am pretty sure that learning a musical instrument through the internet will fail at any level, but especially for beginners.

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ok well ill do that or wait till Monday and ask my teacher. Its only Valve 1 that does this and i opened it up and all looked in it. It looked all good. But ill ask my teacher.

Another question. At the start when i started playing for the first time when i did the scale C,D,E,F,G it sound all good. For some reason when i play it now. it sound of tune or sometime is sound like if spit is getting mixed in it. What do you reckon. Is it maybe because your lips get formed differently? if you dont wanna answer it i will ask my teacher. I mean i did join this forum to ask question etc

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Dizzy Gillespie, the famous jazz trumpeter had a "saying" that explains a lot
    about your question about your "change of sound". What you experience here is what all
    of us experience all the time. Often this "blurry" sound comes when the lips are tired.
    Let your teacher guide you how to form the lips and embouchure. I am sure he can help you.

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.
    Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins.
    This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."

godchaser likes this.
  7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ohh lucky then. i though it was the trumpet cause it sounds off tune now and now that im practicing more exercises from this book i bought i get tired and puffed out after practicing. It just shows how much effort you need to play the trumpet.

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Hitman,

Weren't you told that you should give your horn a bath (cool or warm water) several times a year?

You should follow the advice given by others.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Maybe there IS spit/condensation in the horn. It won't all come out through the spit/water key. Sometimes you must pull the slides, dump them out, and blow through that valve with it pushed down to eject moisture from it, and then put the slide back in.

You can also hold the horn with the valve buttons pointing to your right, bell higher than your mouth, and then blow with first the 3rd valve down, then with the second down, and then with the first down. Then you rotate the horn in a summersault, bell up and toward you and then over and pointing at the floor and moisture may run out the bell.

How much time are you playing now? At the beginning 5 or 10 minutes is plenty, with a good half hour rest before another 5 or ten minutes. It is very easy to overdo it and hurt your lips/embouchure when you are new to the horn. Many short sessions with a lot of resting is the way to proceed.

Learning how to disassemble and reassemble your trumpet is as basic to learning as is blowing it. The valves have numbers, on the outside and on the moving pistons - 1,2,&3, to keep you from putting it back together wrong. The bottom caps are interchangeable. The piston assemblies also come apart, but there is no reason to take them apart on a new horn.

Take all the slides and valve pistons out, the bottom caps off the cylinders, and then put 'em all back together until you are comfortable doing it. Look through the empty valve cylinders to check for dirt, and follow ROWUK's advice on cleaning them if you find them dirty. Oil the valve pistons before putting them back in. Figure out how the guides (at the top of the piston part with the holes through it) fit in the notches inside the cylinders to keep the piston lined up correctly and prevent their rotation.

Once you have done this a few times you will be comfortable with it and have a much better understanding of your horn and how it works.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Why would we tell you to do something that can ruin you horn?!? Their are many professionals in here, keep your ears open.

Bach219

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.