Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    I think that I have finally figured this internet thing out! Thank you for being the inspiration to get me to seriously think about this!

We all google if we want to check something out. We get the info more or less easily and then move on. Playing trumpet involves another concept and I see a BIG discrepancy between googling and playing. I would almost say that a google state of mind is harmful to playing trumpet.

To learn to make music with a wind instrument - regardless if it is the human voice or a trumpet, habits have to be built. Habits are formed by endless repetition. That is exactly the opposite of getting one piece of pre-chewed information fast.

That fuzzy sound that you are talking about is the beginning of your chops starting to develop. The muscles are weak, the coordination is miserable and you have no experience to draw on.

You may have read here that we advocate long tones and slurs. We do so because that builds the habits, the muscle memory that makes the trumpet "sing". Learning to play is just like learning a foreign language. You learn single words first - the basic vocabulary, then basic verbs so that you can make sentences, then conjugation to express things over time. That is very analog to the trumpet: range, flexibility, articulation and dynamics. At the same time your brain has to feed those habits that you have built with the right things. That synchronizes when you have developed for a while.

So unlike google, even if you understand the problem and get a valid answer from the internet (which you are not in a position yet to determine), it does you ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD unless it turns into endless repetition and thus a habit.

We have players on the forum with libraries of music as big as the Library of Congress. That does NOT make them better players. Repetition does. The more varied stuff you play, the longer it takes to finely hone skills.

My advice is to only play the exercizes that your teacher gives you but then until they are MEMORIZED. Your playing develops faster, and your brain is free for additional observations!

good luck!

Robin

godchaser likes this.
  2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    wow long speech rowuk lol.

Umm i dont think the trumpet eed cleaning cause its brand new. still shiny. i opened valve 1 up and "cleaned" it with a pencil. Nothing came out. I opened the spit mouthpiece after i play and will now stat to open the slides as well. I can buy a cleaning kit for it. Should i?

I do only play like 10-15min. That is plenty for me. As i get really tired after it. I use alot of effort in it and cant breathe lol (figure of speech).

Your advice r all good an i will use them once i understand the trumpet thing. Really i only know enough to blow in it. i dont know how it works etc.

godchaser likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    I am sure that you brush your teeth. Even so, there are still bits of food in your spit that you blow into the horn as well as the stuff from the manufacturing that was not cleaned out at the factory. If your valve sticks, it has a problem and I have seen several inexpensive chinese horns that worked fine after cleaning. You need to get a cleaning kit and your trumpet teacher needs to show you how to use it!

As far as the length of my post, there is not one unnecessary word in there.

4. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hitman,No matter how new and shiney your trumpet is you still have to perform regular maintanice on it to keep it working properly and that includes keeping it lubricated and clean.Like maintance on a car, if you don"t change the oil and clean the filters its not going to run or last as long as it would as if it was services properly.Your spit contains acid that eats away at the brass,condesation from your warm breathe forms water witch must be removed before putting you trumped away.Google up How To Clean Your Trumper Video and you will find out how and what is required to keep you trumpet clean.I also recommend a product called "SPITBALLS" which is nothing more than a sponge bullet soaked in a cleaning solution that you blow through the leadpipe right out of the bell.Do this a few times right after your finished playing and they remove all the dirt and water from your horn.If used everyday you hardly ever have to give your horn a bath.They only cost a few bucks.Good Luck and enjoy your new trumpet:thumbsup:

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ok thanks for the advice i will get a cleaning kit asap

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Hitman - we spoke of my pocket trumpet this morning - I disassembled it, cleaned it, lubricated slides and valves, BEFORE I played it. (Well, I did try it in the shop - but that was IT). I bought a brand new Getzen 700SP some years ago - yep, I cleaned it before I used it. Recently I bought a 2nd hand Getzen 900 (1973 model) that had come from a fellow who I know looks after his instruments - this too I cleaned BEFORE I used it. Mouthpiece gets boiling water poured over and through it once a week. If your horn is clean it sounds better. It doesn't matter where your horn was made, or who made it, it still needs proper regular cleaning - I require my students to clean at least once a school term, and certainly when they first receive their trumpet (lots of these are school lease instruments and kids can be such grubs).

So, bottom line - give the thing a clean, TOMORROW (it's Sunday) is NOT TO SOON and it should only take about 1/2 an hour - be careful, your trumpet will be easily bent. Above all, have fun, and keep asking questions too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    godchaser likes this.
  7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ok i will poor boiling water over the mouthpiece tomorrow. But wat about the trumpet itself. i dont have a cleaning kit. And if it put water in the trumpet pipes etc wont it get rid of the oil and grease already in it? What can i use to clean inside and all that, perhaps ear cleaners? In steps what do i have to pull apart and clean?

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    You can get some advice here:

Mark Flegg, Trumpet » How to Clean Your Trumpet

Go and have a look.

9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Try cleaning it as directed in the other posts. Hopefully, it'll work. And also, use proper finger positions so you are pressing directly up and down. Hopefully that'll work and it's just not that the valves are crap. Some chinese horns are just not good quality. I hope it ends up working for you.

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

If you trumpet has a lacquer finish (not silver plate) DO NOT (or soak) it in HOT water. The lacquer will come off. Warm water is fine, but lean toward cool water if not for sure.

Look at the wonderful directions and video resources others have posted to show you how to clean your horn. They will explain the type of soap products to use until your cleaning kit arrives.

The boiling water is for your mouthpiece, NOT your horn.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.