Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    10-15 minutes of playing for a day is no where enough when you're learning. Do clean the horn as instructed in here even if it's new. You have no idea where or how long it was sitting somewhere. I bought a piece of crap online (new) and upon inspecting it, I found rust on the valves etc. Don't ever believe everything in an ad or online site etc. You should also be asking your teacher what to practice as far as scales. I think he's an old guy and should retire already, so he just instructs you on the minimum of what to practice. Just cause he's your teacher does not make him a trumpet GOD. You need to practice alot, more than 15 minutes a day.

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well i have 4 pages of just exercises and i do them. He said do them and that's enough for the day or else you will damage your lips?

I thought you don't put water on the actually trumpet. My trumpet is gold lol or brass whatever you guys call it. I will wash the mouthpiece today. That link you gave me is good but i don't have those equipment yet. Though i will look into getting that.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ok Hitman, Now we are getting somewhere - the trumpet you describe so briefly is probably lacquered - that means that it has a coating of clear lacquer (paint) over the polished raw brass. It is ok to get water on it, it is ok to rub it with a soft cloth (like a soft old tee shirt) to take finger marks, and perspiration, off after you have played - everytime before it goes back in the case.

The boiling water SHOULD NOT go anywhere near the lacquer finish - it will peel off - so luke warm, or cold, water - luke warm 'cause it's more comfortable to splash around in.

Important things:
    1. Get your cleaning kit - it'll cost $16-$25 in a music shop, or you can find them on eBay if you are that way inclined.
    2. Clean the horn regularly - you've read some of our opinions - start to apply what we are offering you.
    3. A clean trumpet and mouthpiece will mean that the whole thing will "taste" better for you.
    4. Lubricate the valves - use proper valve oil - you may have to do this everytime you play for a while until your trumpet settles in - every trumpet has to settle in to some degree, you will get the feel of this as you go on. How do you know? - Your valves will start to stick - oh yeah, you're already there, aren't you?
    5. There is no need for the cleaning kit today - try pulling the trumpet apart as described on the website above, and just flush the tubes with water - just to get the feel of it - rub the trumpet dry, lubricate the slides with a tiny bit of Vaseline - try NOT to get any Vaseline INSIDE the tubing (think about little blobs of Vaseline partially blocking the tubing - you know, like those smoking adds on the TV and all that gunk (plaque) inside the arteries - and spoiling the production of your best sound).
    6. It is ok to get moisture inside the tubing - you WILL always breathe some in anyhow - that's what the ''spit" valves are for, to drain that exhaled moisture out before your music starts to bubble through the collected moisture.
    7. Watch that you don't knock your trumpet on the taps and stuff - you do not want to damage (chip) the finish - your trumpet is easy to get dents in it, remember the arteries. Oh, be very gentle with the threads on the top and bottom caps - a TINY TINY bit of Vaseline on these threads will keep them from jamming over time. These threads are very fine, brass is very soft - take extreme care.
    8. More questions? Ask away. Above all, have fun and rest as much as you practice - as you rest, think about how you are going to play the notes, what it should all sound like, get a mental picture in your head, read the posts on practicing offered by the TMers - yeah I know, you can't do all of it - but at your stage, scales are important, you must learn to play them (start with C Major if you like) and you must memorise them all (well the basic 12 to start with - the full 96 I think will come later) - do this, and everything comes easier, quicker.
    9. Keep having fun.
    10. By the way, your posts are becoming more focussed and are very sensible (sorry, maybe you didn't want to be sensible - remember I'm nearly old) - keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

You could play 15-20 minutes several times a day. That would probably be more helpful in maximizing your practice time. Just a thought!

By the way, Hitman, you do put water on your trumpet as the folks here have described. Matter of fact with the valves removed (stems, valves, corks, etc,) you may immerse the trumpet in the bathtub. Many remove the slides on occasion. Use warm to cool water, NOT HOT to protect the lacquer.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well i will detach everything and run water through the pipeing.

6. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ok i just finished cleaning the trumpet finally. I just took all those sliding things off and took out the valves so it was all open. And put cold water through each whole. then i got all the parts and put some of the valve oil that has no brand or nothing on it that came with the trumpet on it. Put it back together. And now it sounds that same. But i think valve one is better now. Nothing came out though when i washed it with water.

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i just played it now. And Lalve 1 still has trouble coming up sometimes

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ok - next step is the cleaning kit - run the big parallel brush (the one about 20mm in dia, carefully through the valve casing - use washing up detergent and warm water - rinse well, lubricate valves and refit. Then give us a report please.

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    umm i will let you know when i get the cleaning kit.

oh by the way. Do you think it could be the way i push the valve down. Maybe i push it on the side which makes?

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman, it MAY well be the way you push the valve down - we all have a slightly different way of holding the trumpet - there are some good comments from Old Lou and ROWUK on this subject, I have NO WAY of telling if you push at an angle because I can't see you play. Old Lou suggests that because he has "quite a grip" that he tries to not "crush" the valve housing, for example. See if you can search for posts on the subject and try and find something (a grip) that suits you. Understand that the valves need to travel parallel to the valve housing if possible, and so we need to be sure that there are no burrs or damage on the valves or inside the valve housing, that the whole shootin' match is spotlessly clean, and that we have lubricated effectively - and then we have to push the valves up and down without imposing any side loads. My grip is an odd one, I think, in that my left wrist is held dead straight so that my trumpet sits at about a 30 deg angle off the vertical, (tilted to my right) and I use slightly curved fingers - probably not curved sufficiently enough because I have somewhat limited ability to bang the valves up and down super quickly - I like slow ballads so this isn't a big deal for me. This type of grip gives me the impression that I apply no side loads, and this is supported by the very even wear patterns on my valves (I suspect that you won't see these patterns yet because you probably haven't been playing long enough - you'll get wear on the top of one side of the valve and on the opposite side at the bottom of the valve if you are pushing sideways). One disadvantage of the tilted grip is that the oil doesn't remain evenly around the valve (it tends to be better if the valve casing is held upright) - I oil often - sometimes twice a gig.

Use your head - keep thinking - one step at a time - you'll get there.

If all of the above doesn't work, find a good technical bloke to check out that valve before you do damage, like scratching the inside of the valve housing with grit or swarf. You may find that your 1st valve has not been finished quite correctly, and that it is a less than perfect fit in the casing, without a trip to a good technical bloke, all I can suggest is you keep things clean and use you oil regularly - keep us in the loop as to how it goes, please. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.