Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can do them twice or three times a day w/o harm.

2. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    If your lips get tired, try playing 10-15 mins, but more than once a day. Your lips are young and should rebound quite well. As far as everyone getting an A+, either he's a miracle worker or he doesn't really care how his students progress and just gives out A+'s.

3. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    I had the same problem with a Martin Committee and after messing around with it and nothing working, I sent it to Charlie's Brassworks-that should take care of that.--GarROFL

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    umm nha i mean some students get A+ when they go for the exam. But the exam isnt from him it is a special guy.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman - we're trumpet players - we're ALL 'special'. ;-)

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Can you tell us about what your lessons are like?
    Which excercises you play and things like that?

What basics you learn, as how to breath, form your lips,
    how to hold the trumpet, how to sit/stand when you play and all that stuff?

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nordlandstrompet - that idea is simply inspired. Trying to describe what we are learning focusses the mind and enhances the knowledge. :thumbsup:

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer well usually i just go there and sit down. He marks me on the things i practice at home.

It is mostly talking than playing. He talks and i play at home then i come back next lesson and he marks it.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    I am sorry to tell you that your teacher is not doing a very good job. He should be playing quite a bit so that you can get used to a great sound. In the beginning, talk is useless. We need to imitate. That needs a role model.

You need about 45 minutes a day if you are even semi-serious. 3x 15 minutes like Veery said is a good way to do that. If your lips get tired, they are not in good shape. They are SCREAMING to get practiced on!

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

Is your teacher talking "about old times" as opposed to playing his trumpet to show you how to play or let you hear the sound that is correct?

You need to ask him to "show you how to play" not only talk about it. As Robin indicates, he needs to play so you can truly be mentored. If he can't play (or won't), you may have to find a new teacher, or a friend that knows trumpet who plays and will teach you to play. You aren't going to play better trumpet by listening to your teacher talk all the time and not play along with you. Does he play a trumpet?

You also should practice your trumpet music 3 or 4 times a day for fifteen minutes at a time. Eventually, you'll play longer each time. If you only practice fifteen minutes a day, you won't go very far on the trumpet. Most people "warm up" in fifteen minute (more or less) segments before getting into their regular practice routine which continues.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.