Problem with Valve 1?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    You really do need someone who will play along with you. It's so important for you to get the proper concept of how a trumpet should sound. You could also be starting out on a "G" when you should be playing a "C". Playing along with an instructor will also help you with playing at a steady pace and show how long to hold out notes. When small children learn to speak it's from imitation, trumpet sound is much the same. It's easier to try to match you instructors sound than to learn on your own.
    Good luck, and don't feel like we're all against you. Many of the folks on this board teach students and know how important good instruction is, particularly when you're first learning.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Hitman,

Now that is "phat" as in "rich like butter, really good, extremely well put together" from one like me who is 60 years young! :cool:

Thanks for keeping it simple for us oldtimers! ;-)

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer i know what you guys are saying. But he tells me if it sound right or wrong. I think his a good teacher. I dont know one day i will bring my dad in the class with me for 1 whole class and il decide what he thinks about him. True?

4. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I don't see what bringing your dad in will do. Is he a trumpet player himself?? It's obvious with his health problems etc that he isn't able to play with you and demonstrate what it should sound like. Telling you it sounds good is ok but isn't the best way to teach. If you don't really care about playing and making the most out of lessons, than continue to go to this teacher. If you really care about doing well than you might consider getting a new teacher. But, if you can't, just try and practice as much as you can, even if it's something your teacher didn't tell you to. It will only help you.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    nha i care alot. But i dnt know. i will stick to him for a few months and then decide. I will know by then.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Yes - but what will you know?

At least with my tutor, I know immediately when I've got it right - and he can very quickly SHOW me if I'm doing incorrectly. I can tell you that playing beside a tutor with his skill, experience, tone, and timing is worth hundreds of miles of travel, and yes for only 30 mins I drive for an hour each way every week. Strangely enough, I also do that after I've done a full week's work. I get the very real impression that you are copping out. IF you are as serious about your playing as you say you are - then time is of the essence - but time with an expert is of immense value - it CANNOT be measured.

Stop stuffin' around - get into it - properly. (I could have been less polite but you are too young for my rude langauge). Stop pissing around.

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    lol what do you mean? What do you expect me to do? I like my teacher he tells me the right and wrong and thats good. Alot of it is to do with you. if i can hear it and its good and if he said its good thats all that matters.

But like i said i will stick with him for a while and if i dont like him i will go to a different teacher. But at the moment his good. He gets me all my books for me, teaches me how to read notes and tells me what sound is the letter so eg if i play a high C but i wanna play a G he tells me which sound i have to make etc.

Ive been with him 4 lessons now in total and i can already play some basic songs like Jingle Bells, Old MacDonald and all the exercise that have notes C,D,E,F,G,A in them. And i know how to do an A which is higher than a G.

Basically im learning something. A bad teacher is when a student goes to someone and doesn't learn something. Yes?

8. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    why is it sometimes you write like an idiot and sometimes you write like a normal person...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Aren't all trumpet players schizophrenic? Why should beginners be exempt?

10. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    So what are you now a profiler and a trumpeter? What would you know about that way i write. You are just a person on the other side reading what i write with no emotion. You don't know anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.