Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nattrump, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nattrump

nattrump New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    Hi to everyone,

sorry if I do not introduce myself, now, but I am in need of some answers to my problem.
    I am a professional trumpet player and, since some months ago, I got a problem related to my upper lip. The problem is that often the inside part of the upper lip get hurted. There is a sort of dark red "stamp" of the teeth". I have never experienced something like this before and can not find a reason for it. Sometimes everything is fine and I have no strange feelings, even when I play very high. Sometimes, instead, I practice in a very relaxed way and........problem comes up. I saw doctor, made a ecography but...nothing. Everything in my lips is fine.
    This problem is driving me crazy.
    Do someone of you have any ideas about what can be??
    Sorry again if I do not introduce myself now, I will.

Nattrump

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Welcome to TM!

Could it be because your using too much pressure?

3. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    If you are a professional trumpet player, why are you asking for help on an online forum? Please go to a professional who can help you: either a doctor, or a trumpet teacher, or both.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nattrump,
    you make this kind of tough as we know NOTHING about you, your playing or anything else.

Any mark from the teeth is pressure related. Even playing with "low" pressure does not necessarily prevent damage to the lips. I assume that you have been to the dentist and have no sharp edges on your front teeth.

Generally, players that come to me and claim something drastic has changed, need some coaching with their breathing and a routine to get their brain focussed on playing and not thinking about what can go wrong. It is entirely possible that there is NOTHING different about your playing, but that you are now aware of something that you have identified as a potential problem. That can cause everything that you describe.

The human BODY is VERY resilient, but the MIND is susceptible to all sorts of influences. That is why I post harshly when stupid hypothesis are presented. They serve no purpose other than to distract the player from what is important! That distraction can mess your playing "flow" up.

If you have a good daily routine, just stick with it. If you don't, PM me. If you have a medical issue like blood pressure or diabetes, let a doctor help you.

good luck

5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    This is just a thought, but you may have severely bruised your upper lip from:

A. incorrect playing
    B. Too much pressure (Incorrect playing)

Brusing won't show up on a test and doesn't necessarly swell. This is why you hurt even when you play "Very relaxed" as you say. Deep muscle brusing
    takes weeks, sometimes months to heal from the damage thats been done. I took on a student that had done this same thing and it took weeks to heal. In that you won't introduce yourself I really don't want to say any more except find a professional teacher that can get you through the healing process and correct any form problems that may be the cause.

Let me introduce myself - Hoghorn here !!

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Has there been some kind of change recently that could be the cause? Something like a chipped tooth, starting or stopping smoking, starting or stopping drinking, etc?

If the answer isn't too much pressure when playing then maybe you should ask your doctor about your circulatory system? Maybe something is causing bruising/clots elsewhere?

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I tend to believe that are hands are are enemies. See if you are pitching your horn up as you bend your head down. Now when I saw pitch and bend I mean just the smallest amount, nothing dramatic. If you are, then it should be putting an undue amount of pressure on the top lip causing a small strawberry. Hope this helps.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It could be a dental problem that took a long time to show its self , a small change in the angle of the horn on the embouchure , up,down,left,right, or a combination of any two might help and use as little pressure as possible. I have seen some players who like a sharp edge on the inner rim on their mouthpieces and got bruised lips , then switched to a mouthpiece with a softer bite and didn't bruise any more.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do you have a teacher who is experience in helping with embouchure problems? A chop doc. Not all teachers have this experience. For some reason it sounds like you're using to much pressure. But would really need to see you play to be sure.