Problems on playing Ad!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shezza, Sep 8, 2011.

1. shezza

shezza New Friend

Nov 27, 2010
    Arnold Notts.
    Hi all, I am a newbie to the tumpet/cornet and can play a few songs, But this may sound stupid I cant play Ad the way it should be with 2 & 3 valves. But when I press valve 1 I get a good Ad any ideas please....................Pete.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    what is an "Ad" ?? do you mean A-Flat??

Which register?? Just above the staff??

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi shezza,

The trumpet is pitched in Bb,not C like piano or guitar ,so it sounds a full tone lower than concert pithch. A written C will sound Bb,a written Bb will sound Ab and a written Ab will sound Gb. That's why 1st valve sounds right to you,it's really a written Bb you're playing but it sounds concert Ab.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    yep, I'll bet that is what the OP means...

Trying to play Bb Trumpet to match a piano or some other C instrument.

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Pete,

I do believe that you meant to say A flat. Since you are a beginner, I would doubt that the note is above the staff. Regardless, If you can play an A natural (second space up in the staff), then an A flat is a half step or half tone down. the fingering for an A natural is the first and second valves down. The fingering for an A flat is, like you wrote, second and third vales down. The first valve down in that range would be a B flat or A sharp. If you believe that the first valve down sounds like an A flat, then you might want to check the tuning of your horn. There are some good ear trainers online to check, and which would give you a better idea of what the notes of a scale sound like. Like any other activity, practice helps.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I solved that problem by having my piano re-tuned.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Did you really do that??? I think it's a great idea. I mean, who's idea was it to tune the piano to C in the first place???? That's just old thinking ...... we're in the modern age now and it should be a Bb Age!:lol:

Or ....... "Sorry about the piano, but we're a Bb household."

Turtle

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Re-tuning a C piano to Bb may not be possible with all pianos. I remain skeptical if any can truly be. The lowest white note on an 88 keyboard is an A on a C piano, and you want to raise it to a B. Thence all you did is throw away the A and now the first black key is useless whereas there is no B# or Cb, and so it goes throughout the remaining keys. I am not saying a piano could not be manufactured in Bb, but ... if I had a C piano ... any tuner who tells me he/she can do it would be immediately told to leave ... if necessary prodded out the door by the point of a gun barrel (all my firearms are loaded).

What I propose is that anyone who wants this just to "re-tune" their brain to transpose C music to Bb or vice versa. Otherwise, precise tuning a Bb or even other C instruments to that of a piano is about the riskiest method I know of.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Ed...
    I think he was joking!

But, ought to be easy enough with a digital piano, such as a Casio or Yamaha!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Joke or NOT, some who read such will think it possible and ruin a good C piano. However, I know the OP who suggested such is a bit of a prankster.

I'm certainly no electronic wiz and would not be about to mess with my li'l Yammy 66 key, but methinks re-arranging the sound chips just ain't gonna do it, whereas a Bb chip will still be two semi-tones lower than that for a Bb trumpet and you'd have to replace it with a C chip and again it is the question of the right key type in the right place, then anyway you want to play it ... it will still sound like a piano. Bah humbug!