Problems on playing Ad!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shezza, Sep 8, 2011.

1. shezza

shezza New Friend

Nov 27, 2010
    Arnold Notts.

A slip of the laptop key.....................should read Ab

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I love it!!!

3. davedk

davedk New Friend

Jun 23, 2010
    california
    most electronic KBs have a "transpose" key... its painless really. but I thought it was really funny - almost a milk out of my nose moment.. (retuning a piano lol)

Agreed however - the OP is trying to play with the piano without transposing..

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't ask me why, whereas I don't know, however, Irving Berlin could not play a piano unless it were in the key of F. He had one built with a lever that would then shift it to key of C. His piano is now in the Smithsonian.

My little Yamaha 66 key electronic keyboard does not have a transposing key ... but then, I don't need one to transpose to Bb, mostly on the fly viz sight read the transposition as I must do from hymnals which I've been doing before I was in high school.

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Well, the strings were gettin' kinda stretched anyway. :oops:

Plus, the piano is just some old off-brand cheapie . . . . Steenway or Steinway or something like that?? :think:

Anyway, it's amazing what you can do with a pair of pliers and a $10 electronic tuner.

;-)

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Who? Me?? :whistle:

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks even your avatar indicates such. However, mess with a Steinway and hope you don't need anything from Conn-Selmer as Steinway owns them. The provenance of the 11 foot grand my brothers and I bought used for my Mother was direct from John Steinway to Andrew Carnegie to us. It had 1/2 inch wooden tuning pegs that I had to use a gas valve key to re-tune it. I was also successful in flattening the warps in a number of genuine ivory keys *. New felts and replaced three hammers and all bridal straps. Had to take out the living room window and part of the wall to get it inside and then put jack posts in the basement under it so the vibration wouldn't cause the china to rattle. When we sold it, out went the window and wall again, but this time the window was replaced with a thermal window and the wall fully insulated. Mom wasn't a pro, but IMO she played like one. She taught elementary school children and tutored piano some. It is from her that I learned to sight read transposition of piano music for Bb trumpet.

* The formula / recipe for this may be found in Sir Charles Eastlake's translation from middle German of the Strasburg Manuscript, the latter a graphic artist's notebook, a small volume as is now out of print and the original said to have been destoyed by a fire. Too, it flattens other bone, even turtle shell, but must be watched in the process so it doesn't dissolve them.

8. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Well, you try hitting a quadruple C on a hyper-soprano pocket piccolo trumpet and tell me you wouldn't look like that, too. :shock:

(Plus, show me a retired LEO who takes life too seriously. ;-))

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No doubt if I tried to hit a quad high C with anything, I'd ask you to sound TAPS for me. Methinks such is above human hearing range or at least my hearing. Still, whenever I play a note wrong (which is more often than I want to say), I think it is a habit for me to look along my trumpet to see where in the heck my fingers are and I've been known to try a Bb with the 2nd valve to follow with a low D and have no finger for the 3rd valve. That's the consequence of not always setting in with a pinky finger under the hook. As not at that moment do I have a mirror or camera to take my picture, I wouldn't say if my eyes are crossed or not. Just TG I'm the only one that now hears 99.5% of my errors.

As for the quote of yours Steve that I've left to show again, to paraphrase, I'll enter the plea, "Guilty as charged". At my age and with the health issues I have had, every moment I've left is seriously accepted. Still, I'm thankful I've 4 pleasures left: 1. My wife, 2. my daughter, 3. my granddaughter, and 4. making music (???) with my brass horns, and the means and will to enjoy them all.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey Pete,

Did you read the post about playing to match notes on a piano? Is that where the confusion comes from?

Open (no valves) = Concert Bb (piano) or C as written for the trumpet in trumpet music - Third space up
    1 & 2 = Concert G (piano) or A as written for the trumpet - second space up
    2 & 3 = Concert Gb/F# (piano) or Ab for trumpet - flatted pitch on second space up.