Problems switching high overtones legato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GuyMcPerson, Feb 11, 2009.

1. GuyMcPerson

GuyMcPerson New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Hey all, a problem I've recently come into is that I can consistently play a high D/D# (By high, I mean on upper end of staff) but when it comes to the high C overtone, and the one above that, I can't really switch between those legato.

For instance, I can play a low C all the way up to a middle A (middle of staff) legato fine, but above that I usually need to tongue in between the notes. It feels like I am needing to curl in my lips to get those extra overtones.

So is it normal to feel that way? Do I just need to push extra air to get those high notes? Everytime I try to simply push more air, it works to an extent but I get much louder and I don't want to do that. I feel like I should be able to play a high C and such at the same volume. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you do not have the notes, you need to invest more time.

Normally, a strong attack compensates for weak breathing and muscle tone. The hard tonguing will allow the player to "blow through" a high pressure embouchure. That is not good.

The best medicine is just to play high VERY softly and legato with little or no tonguing. Once your breathing and embouchure are coordinated, everything becomes much easier. Clarke works very well!

3. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    High C is ABOVE the staff.

Play long tones and slur C - G - C over and over.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like you need to develop your embouchure. Find a good teacher to help with this. It's not a DIY endevor.