Problems that present themselve while playing the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Shakes.... that's an interesting one. I've heard of a lot of people suddenly developing this while going into an audition...

What else do you folks have?

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    The biggest problem I see when people come to me for a lesson is that they focus at the wrong things. The same is happening here in this topic imho.

I try to learn them to focus on the music, tell them to see a frase as one long note with some crescendos to the highest note and a decrescendo to the lowest. So play horizontal, not vertical. The airstream is always flowing till the last note of the frase, so each note get's enough energy to sound at their best.

When I get them to focus on that and let them play with the best sound they can produce, it's all getting better after some practice. The embouchure works better (because it's getting better musical messages), the breathing is getting better (because there is less tension during inhaling) and the music will sound much better as a result.

But the hardest part remains that they keep focussing on the music. It's so tempting for trumpet players to complain about bad embouchure, endurance and range...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    One of my problems i come along often, is the question of how much pressure, and second problem, coming down from the upper register.

P.S. I think this would be a good sticky thread to have a bunch of issues and solutions so people can go here first before asking a question thats been answered MULTIPLE times.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Oh another one, not my problem, but someone applies WAY too much pressure, and stresses there chops, and as they do so, there range increases, but you hear a once great tone, slowly die, and in two years i expect he won't be able to play anymore.