Problems with High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by karajan89, Jun 14, 2009.

1. karajan89

karajan89 New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Hi, I've been having some problems with my high notes for the past three days or so. Usually, I am capable of a g (above the staff) to a b (one ledger line). A few weeks ago, my teacher had suggested I switch from a 7c to a 5c, and I did. I did not have any problems until now, which leads me to believe it is not the mouthpiece. Currently, I am getting a buzzing sound when I try to hit note between C (third space) and e (fourth space), I can't even produce anything above f. My trumpet teacher is away, so I will not have a lesson until two weeks later. Also, I find it difficult to produce the "buzz" on the mouthpiece alone. Any thoughts, advice, or help? I have an audition next Saturday!!

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you weren't having any problems with the 7C , I would recommend you go back to it , at least until after your audition. The 5C may not be as good as the 7C is for you, you didn't say why your teacher wants you to change, but if you feel more confident and comfortable on the 7C, then maybe the 5C isn't for you. It's never a good idea to change mouthpieces or embouchures too soon before a major concert ,gig, or audition.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Go back to the 7C. Changing your setup right before (less than 2 months) an audition is not a good strategy. Relax, and don't think yourself into a corner. Practice as usual, like you never switched.
    Stay hydrated. Get plenty of sleep. Get some decent physical exercise. Eat 3 sensible meals a day.
    You will do fine.

V

Al, we type in sync.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know why your teacher recommended the change so I can't say if it was sensible or not. If you only had a G on top of the staff, it in my opinion, was a bit early to change mouthpieces.

That being said, The 5C is not THAT far away from a 7C and the results should be similar IF you have a decent daily program that does not beat your face up.
    I suspect that if you are honest with yourself, you will see that you simply aren't practicing enough fundementals. Long tones, lip slurs and easy tunes are the #1 recipe for building and maintaining chops. If the base is not adequate, all of the technical and articulation studies hurt more than they help.

Suffer until your teacher gets back. They know your playing, we don't. Play lots of pianissimo long tones and easy slurs as quietly as you can!

5. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Like Rowuk says. Go back to fundamentals and build from the range you have on the new mouthpiece.
    It's not possible to determine from your description (or any description for that matter) what is going on. You need a teacher for that. However IMHO what MAY be happening is you are trying to replicate the feel of the smaller mouthpiece by stretching the corners of your mouth back and flattening the lip aperture.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The shape,bite and feel of the 7C rim is very different from rim of the 5C ,I still say if these problems started with the 5C go back to the 7C.

7. oldtrumpetdude

oldtrumpetdude New Friend

May 22, 2009
    OK,,while I know guys who can play a high note on a bone MP, changing from a 7C to larger MP to play high notes seems counterproductive to me.

I believe using the smallest equipment you can PLAY on is the best all round answer. It helps with range, endurance, comfort etc.....

However not actually knowing the player, it is very difficult to make a meaningful comment.

I would think you should try something like an 11D. Just a suggestion.

Schilke 10A4A is a great all around MP that fits most people.:play::cool:

8. karajan89

karajan89 New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Thanks guys for the help. I thought of switching back. However, I don't think it is the mouthpiece. As I said before, I have been playing the mouthpiece normally for one or two weeks already, and I could still get all the notes. It is just now, that suddenly, the notes slip away. When I noticed this problem, I tried playing on my 7c, it was still the same. So I don't know what the problem is.

9. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    Rowuk could be right here... go back to your fundamentals and build up a stronger foundation. If you are, in fact, practicing enough, I would highly recommend taking a day off. It doesn't matter whether or not you're practicing good or bad habits, you're still learning them. If you're suddenly finding that you are having a consistent problem, PUT THE HORN DOWN. Believe me, I know how hard that can be. My rule of thumb is this: if you go for a high note and you don't hit it, try again. Then try once more. After the third time, if you're not sounding any better than you did the first time, STOP. The last thing you want to do is get used to playing poorly. Take a day off of playing to just recenter yourself. Satisfy the trumpet fix you're likely to crave by listening to some great players and when you come back to your horn, hear the sound you want in your head and try again.

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I remember Doc Severinsen in a master class once, after fielding a few questions about problems in different students' playing, saying something like, "There's no problem that won't respond to two solid hours of practicing every day." That's as good a bottom line as I've ever heard.
    And I am a little perplexed as to why your teacher wanted you to change mouthpieces. Were you having problems?