Problems with horn in upper register!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by drac, Mar 16, 2004.

1. gmdean

gmdean New Friend

Jan 13, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Just a thought but it may be your mouthpiece is better suited to the other horns than the Bach. I have just come out of a bit of a mouthpiece hunt ending up with a gardinellie M7. If I'd asked my teacher I'd have saved a lot of time and money but that's another issue. Thing is with this piece I have more range and better sound on my 1965 37 than with the other pieces I'd tried, Bach, Schilke, Monet. A Warberton 5 gave me the same sort of range with a tighter backbore but I couldn't get on with the cup. Must admit I'd never payed much attention to backbores but that experience put a light on. Don't realy understand why this particular piece works best for me with my horn but it does.
    Mark

2. bj

bj New Friend

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi Drac
    It seems to me there are 3 main factors in playing. The horn, the mp and the person doing the blowing. Have you tried another Bach 37? If you can play high on it then your Bach is the fault, for whatever reason.
    If you can't play high on other 37's then the combination of you, the Bach and your mp doesn't work for you.
    all the best
    Brian Jones

3. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    What's the deal with bashing Bach's? I happen to like mine a lot. Granted, it is a 43. ;)

--Kevin

4. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh, the topic....

My guess would be mouthpiece gap if your not having this problem anywhere else on your horn, or with other horns. But before you start going on a spending spree with mouthpieces, horns, etc., might I suggest you shop around for a teacher first? You might just be doing something quirky with this one horn that you haven't been doing with the others, and he/she might be able to spot this for you. Also, it never hurts to have someone verify that it's the horn, and NOT you!

--Kevin

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Kevin,

My observation has been that Bach connoisseurs spend a lot of time either finding a 'really good' Bach, learning to play with Bach idiosyncracies, trying different hardware to reduce the idiosyncracies or convincing others why Bach is the choice of professionals.

If drac bought a Kanstul he could sell his Bach and spend all that time enjoying his new horn.

Greg

6. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bach has heavy-weight valve caps, and... that's it.

--Kevin

7. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Well I am bringing it in for valve alignment so I will let you know how that goes. As for the Kanstuls, I am pretty sure I will be buying one, I just wish they had alighter version of the 1500!!!

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ask Jack Kanstul, they seem to build just about anything you can name.

9. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    And don't get me wrong, Kanstul's are great horns...

I LOVE my Bach though.

--Kevin

P.S. Jacky Terrason (sp?) kicks a**!!!

10. bent trumpet

bent trumpet New Friend

Dec 6, 2003
    I have had the same problem with all 4 of the different Bach Strads that I have owned. I tried changing the Warburton BB, but nothing seemed to help. I ended up selling them all, and I have not missed them at all.