Problems with mid to high register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deu, Dec 29, 2013.

1. deu

deu New Friend

Dec 23, 2013
    Hello,
    I'd like to ask some more experienced trumpeters for help with my trumpet playing.
    Few months earlier I've been given some suggestions from a profesional trumpet player and one of them was playing caruso exercises. After few weeks practicing these exercises I realized that I should probably move my mouthpiece a bit higher because that way I've got much more consistent low to middle register and thought I would learn to use the high register after few months of practice. But after two concerts played this way I've come to a point when I can no more play higher than g over the staff even if I put the mouthpiece back lower on my lips. (when I try to play higher I get only some kind of crackling sound)
    What would you suggest me to do? Thank you for any replies.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, deu!

It could be that what you call a "crackling sound" is what is called a "double buzz." If so, it means the lips are pressed together so much that two apertures are formed. Pulling your chin down a bit might help. Pedal tones can help to train those muscles.

3. deu

deu New Friend

Dec 23, 2013
    Thank You. It seems at this point that I have also problems with air leaking through the corners of my lips so I think it confirms that my problem is that "double buzz". Well I think the trumpet playing is getting harder after the years than it was at the beginning when I just put it to mouth and played.

4. godsong

godsong Pianissimo User

Mar 2, 2013
    04 Range - YouTube
    This is excellent help from one of the greats. Remember support muscles. It might be a pressure problem as well. Practice 5 hours a day and call me in the morning. If all else fails I will come and coach you. I never could hit much over high C until I practiced and worked on technique. I also love the PETE. (Personal Emb Training Equipment) and don't dare spent too much money on mouthpieces. I can get 4 octaves on any mouthpiece! Its more about airstream and support muscles.