Problems with Valve Felt/Cork Replacement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter_1, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    Hi!

Well, i`ve got an old conn coprion bell trumpet and last month the cork inside the valves teared apart. I tried replacing it with an eraser and it had a good sound except on the low register. Then I tried with a cork and denim which was great but later I still got some trouble with low register. And sometimes I think its me but I don´t know what to do because I can`t find a replacement kit.

And I`m also wondering can the cork affect the low register sound? And where can I find a valve felt cork replacement?

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I've been able to find replacement corks for those "Crysteel" valves on eBay - not listed every day, necessarily, but pretty often. The last ones I bought were from seller "frisco1227".

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Just go to a repair shop. Problem solved.

4. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    There´s no repair shop in my town. They don´t even sell trumpets!

But thanks

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Tell us where you are located and then we can direct you to nearest town with competent repair shop. Still, most are as near as the U.S. Postal Service, UPS or Fed Ex. It is a selection of the thickness felts inside and outside under your keys plus the proper thickness of the cork inside that makes a difference. I know the feeling, the nearest to me that advertise are 100 miles distant.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I had the same happen to 56 Conn 6B. Luckily the are several shops for me to take it to. There is a spec to those corks and putting the proper ones is very important for proper function. Good luck.

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    "I don't have a husband, he don't play the trombone."

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    No Tom Waits fans here huh?