Professional Ethics / Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Liad Bar-EL, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Professional Ethics / Code of Conduct

To see if there is an interest in this subject that may even develop into a forum, this thread is to deal with the trumpeter’s professional ethics / code of conduct as it may apply to or resulting from contracts, payment(s), performance, court cases and judgments, teacher/student relationship, public appearances and responsibilities, advertising and maybe even music interpretation or anything that you think that might relate to this subject.

2. TheMoose

TheMoose Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    Hi Liad,

I feel that before any student takes on a teacher he should do his homework. I also feel that when a teacher is asked, especially one who will be engaged in private instruction, should be forthcoming with information when asked by the student or his/her's parent or legal guardian.

The Moose

3. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Liad,

You have hit on a topic that I find fascinating. Not sure if it warrants a new forum or not, but I would love to have a discussion about the following:

Given that we have both amateurs and professionals, and being a comebacker myself, I would be interested to see if everybody's thoughts on these subjects.

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    When I was teaching private trumpet lessons at Mars Music (before they tanked), all teachers had to go through both a general background check and a sexual predator background check. We prided ourselves on being able to tell parents their children were as safe in our care as any school teacher.

However, an important element of teaching had to be stopped: No more "hands-on teaching", literally. We were told not to physically touch a student in any way. I remember in college, my prof asking if he/she could put their hand on my ab muscles while I was playing, to get an idea how my breathing was. I used to use that tedchnique on students years ago, and it was very helpful.

Not any more. I think teachers especially should abide by a Code of Conduct, even if they teach for themselves and not a school or music store.

Mike

5. TheMoose

TheMoose Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    Mikey,

I think it's great that a business would take steps to insure that their instructors were on the up and up by doing the background checks. Can you say INTEGRITY!!!! Parents shouldn't have to worry about who is teaching their children and what they are teaching them. I know it sounds a bit over the top right now but maybe in time there will be an organization where prospective students can choose music instructors from a list that have undergone background checks.