Professional Instruction Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hello all,

I am a comeback player, FYI, and have found my way to a pro for some instruction.

I was fine until I got the email back from him saying that he'd be glad to work with me and then set me up for a session at 5Pm today.

I'm freaking out! It's funny here I am at 36 soon to be 37 years old, I got one look at this guys bio and now I can't even blow a solid note on my horn in private let alone if front of this guy!

Is this normal? Some background, I've only had instruction through the public schools in the metro Detroit area in the early 1980's. I've never been in a private setting which is what I think is part of my "freaking out"

I greatly value the opinions of some folks who post out here and I'm hoping you'll chime in and povide me with some suggestions to help me relax here. I think more then anything I've just come to the sudden realization that for the first time in my life, that I know of, I'll be playing in front of someone who I don't belong alongside of! I've never felt that.
    If I could be allowed the comparison without the judgement for being sac-religious, for me it's like standing in front of the allmighty for judgement and I'm sure that I won't like what I'll hear.

Perhaps I'm unfairly judgeing how this fella is going to be with me. I'm sure it won't be a fire and brimstone, "Oh man you suck" but I really feel that's what his opinion will be. Strange, I don't know why this is bothering me so much!

Oh well, someone, anyone, Help!

I'll be watching, thanks for any tips!

Just in case you might wonder, I'll be taking instruction from Dr. Moffatt Williams, he's the Associate Professor of Trumpet at Columbus State University. His bio can be found here ======>http://music.colstate.edu/faculty/faculty.asp?strRef=13

This would be like me setting in with Manny, EC, or Wilmer. I'd feel the same way for sure.

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Look at it this way you, you would not go see the local golf pro for a quick swing fix if you already strike the ball pretty decent. In other words, Do not go to the lesson with the attitude that you have to perform as well as your instructor, or atleast keep up with him or her. Just be yourself let the mistakes happen, dont try to force yourself to prove yourself. I took a lesson from Manny and he told me to bring a thick skin, and be ready for some positive criticism. Believe me playing with Manny was like putting a Yugo (not running) against a Lamborgini Diablo. That is not the point though, it is to see were you are at with your playing and to have somebody at a profesional level listen and help you were it is needed. Just relax be yourself and perhaps you can post on how the lesson went. ;-)

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    PhatmonB6

Thanks, I really needed to hear (See) that!

I'm a wreck and you hit it on the head. I'll try to keep that in my mind as I play.

You took instruction from Manny, Wow! I guess that's all I got to say about that!

Thanks again.

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    KHP,

It is indeed humbling when you start with lessons. I'm 44 and have been taking lessons for almost a year now. I thought I was doing pretty well before I started but wanted to work on several areas (range, endurance, styling, etc.) I still feel like the high school freshman I was when I took my first lesson in 1976 when I meet my instructor these days. I'll have worked something up, usually to what I would consider fair standards, only to listen and learn that I can still do better. Somedays I get so nervous before a lesson I don't think I can hit a G3, until I start and open my mind.

Keep taking those lessons, get all you can get from your instructor, the good and the bad. Use the bad to make the good better. Don't be intimidated, learn and progress. Once you get over the fact that you'll be making mistakes during each practice sesson and each lesson, learning gets more fun!

Learn to blow your horn, man!

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    pwillini

Thanks for your words as well. It's good by the way to hear from someone back home! I am originally from the downriver area, just south of Detroit.

It's humbling I think, we never like to have our faults pointed out us. I think what I'm so botherd by now that I really think about it is that in my head I think that I'm a pretty fair trumpet player. I have a feeling that today will change that dramatically.

I guess it's just the thought of exposing your weaknesses. And since it will be only me and him playing, my weakness will have an amplification that I'm certain to be uncomforable with.

All and all thanks for the suggestions, I will take them to heart and let you all know how things work out!