Professional Instruction Post report

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Oct 20, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know, I didn't really consider it quite that way - it makes a lot of sense to get the continuity and consistency of weekly lessons, and that most likely won't happen with Dr. Williams. You really do have a rough decision to make! :D

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Mg,

Thanks for you post also.. I had not thought about it that way, but it does make a great deal of sense.

I'm going to take the weekend to really think it over and I'll contact Dr. Williams on Monday and make a plan going forward from there. Thanks so much (everyone) for all your thoughts and opinions.

With every best wish,

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello from across the pond John. I just had to drop in and say how happy I am to hear about your success with Dr. Williams. I will have more time to chat when I get back. Keep it up and the best of luck. I am glad it all worked out.

Back to sipping a nice brown beer. :cool:

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    KHP,

Tough decision indeed. You have input from just about anyone on these forums who would care to give you advice. So, I'll add my 2 cents worth to add fuel to the fire (or maybe put water on the fire?)

I have been taking lessons now for almost a year. I can tell when I have a break in my instruction - I start doing things I know I shouldn't, trying to get the sound or styling I think I want, I get sloppy when I listen to my playing, not being as critical as I should, etc. Get the point?

If I were you, I'd start by going with the good Dr's advice and start with his grad student, polishing those things that make a comebacker a comebacker. If price is truly the only reason you'd make this choice, then that's what I'd do. If you do decide to do this, ask the Dr. if, when his grad student believes your level of expertise would be better suited to study with the Dr., if you could go back to him!

Now, seriously ask yourself - is there anything in my life I currently spend my $$$$ on that I could do without? There may be a way to make the personal sacrifice that will enable you to study weekly with the Dr.! I gave up my extra round of golf so I could study an hour a week with my instructor, instead of 1/2 hr. A friend of mine gave up smoking so he could take lessons, it has not only improved his playing but also his health! Seriously, take a look at what you currently do, if you really want to study weekly with Dr. Williams, I'm sure there's a way to do it!

Keep us posted on what you decide!

5. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    Well I'm by no means even in ear shot of the range of talent presented in this thread, but I'll chime in from way down here in the gutter of playing ability and experience. It looks like your main issue here is going to be frequency.

Now consider this, you practice every day, or atleast should. Would you rather have a fantastic practice session once every two days, or a good one every day? Which way do you think you would get more done? Granted the grad student is likely NOT on the same level as the Doctor, but assuming he is good, which the doctor has already stated, you'll be able to get more done over the long haul.

I'd meet the grad student and heavily consider lessons with him in preference to from the doctor.

6. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    John,
    Thanks for the post and am glad to hear it went well. Also I would take the Doctors advice and go with the grad student. He would not have recomended him if he felt he could not do the job. :-)

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Alex,

so good to hear from you what a pleasent surprise! I trust things are going well :D

Enjoy a pale ale for me too, I'll look forward to sharing with you some of the conversation that me and Dr. Williams had. Thanks so much for stearing me in his direction.

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Again,

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

It's nice to have a forum such as this where I can draw from your expirences and suggestions to aide me in this decision. What a team effort! :grouphug: