Professionalism...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I'm starting to get pay offers again these days...I think it just comes down to exposure when your chops get to a certain point, and people trust that you can handle the gig.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    After reviewing this reply, I can confidently state: You are no where near ready to turn pro.

Rowuk's reply had exquist maturity within the text and whishhhhhhh, it went right over your head. You even missed the concept that Rowuk's comment you referenced was absolutely consistent with his post above. Until you can read into the sincerity of all of Rowuk's replies, don't even attempt to consider being a pro.

This is not taking sides, this is being a third person that is able to read through a bias that you need to work through in a serious way.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here we go again. I am not "judging" anybody. I have been doing what I do for a lot of years. I have seen children, teens, adults musically on fire. There is no question in my mind that all of them had what it takes. None of them would ask when, perhaps only how. Those on fire do not "start" to practice to be a pro - going pro grows out of the drive that they always have.

As far as stupid goes, that is YOUR wrong word. I post what I mean and if I mean "stupid", I will write it. It also has NOTHING to do with lack of knowledge. The problem here is that you did not even try to understand what I said.

You have the attitude that music is a profession that you can pick a date when you want to start working on. It isn't true. It is exactly the other way around. Music has such a tight grip on your life that you can't do anything else.

Now maybe to the most difficult part. I could care less about the background, IQ or personality of those that post here. This is an open internet platorm where people interested in trumpet "get together". Open means that YOU are part of it, just like I am. I am not Mr. Feelgood, I post direct answers to specific issues. There is no "rule" of netiquette that says that we are limited to the scope of knowlege and playing of the original poster. You asked about being a pro - something you do not yet understand. If you don't like a view of the real world, looking in the mirror may be a better option. Then you may realize what is bothering you - it probably is not me. That is also most likely the problem here. You asked the question and your very shallow read of my answer makes you think that I said that you have no chance. As a matter of fact, BECAUSE you now have answered my post the way that you did, I will say that people "sensitive" like you (posted) get eaten alive in the pro world. Very seldom is "fair" the reason that things get done in the artistic world. That does not mean that you have no chance, it means that the profile for winners in the trumpet playing world does not match what you have presented here.

Start yesterday, get tough, good luck.

4. michaelbsc

michaelbsc New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    SC weekdays, NC weekends
    From a strictly legalistic perspective what makes a professional is a license from a state licensing board. So physicians, attorneys, plumbers, and barbers are all "professionals" in that sense, and others are restricted from trade in those industries.

But in the vernacular sense the idea of getting paid vs volunteering is more important. I don't think I've ever heard of a licensed musician. God help us if we come to that.

5. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Best description of a professional I have heard is; An amatuer (me) can be OK and just SUPER on occasion! A professional is SUPER every time. That is why I never particapate in the fee when I join with professionals. They have invested lots of time and effort to be good EVERY TIME. My satisfaction comes, as I have said before, in hearing my horn "sing" and (I admit to being a ham) I love hearing the big applause when I play (most of the time)

6. michaelbsc

michaelbsc New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    SC weekdays, NC weekends
    My dad used to give me a line similar to what you say, that isn't at all the legalistic definition I gave. (My definition is really one for lawyers.)

What my dad used to tell me was that a skilled amateur could do a superb job when he felt like it, but a professional does a superb job even when he doesn't feel like it.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gunther Schuller said "If you make music your life it will make you a living."

8. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    tedh1951 likes this.
  9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Here is a link to Dave Bilger's website.
    Dave's Mouthpiece | Thoughts about trumpet, music, and lots more.
    As most of you know, Dave Bilger is great principal trumpet of the Philadelphia Orchestra. The latest entry has some very pertinent thoughts. (As do all his writings). There is one very key sentence which states that there are thousands of excellent musicians who barely eke out a living.
    I leave the rest of the reading to you.
    Rich T.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey man, there is nothing to aplogize about.

The point is, being a musician is so much more than "having learned a trade". You don't decide. The "musical" part that is felt by the heart not learned by repetition points the player in the right direction.

There are so many great players without work, I really feel that if you have to ask the question, you are too far away from what it takes to be a working pro.