Professionalism...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Oct 28, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The thing that makes this so tough is some people have natural talent... they can learn something in a week that takes the average person a month or more to learn. You start stacking up those weeks and you can see why some players are so superior to others. The average person really does need to hit the ground running maybe practice longer and be more effective with his practice time.
    The venue is also another thing. IF you are an entertainer and put on a great show but maybe don't play the most challenging pieces... you could be in demand and make a living.
    If you want to be a music teacher well then that is another thing.
    Now a concert soloing trumpet player ... that does require a gift as well as drive.
    Maybe if you narrowed it down a bit.

2. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I had been singing and playing the trumpet most of my life. I hurt both my wrists in an industrial accident in 2006.......numerous surgeries later...
    I have trumpet and french horn students and I teach voice, I am a vocal coach and I play for free at several parishes in the area, in return I get most of the weddings and anything special that requires trumpet work.
    I am a tenor soloist and in demand as a cantor.
    I am not rich but I am blessed!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    You have the attitude that music is a profession that you can pick a date when you want to start working on. It isn't true. It is exactly the other way around. Music has such a tight grip on your life that you can't do anything else. --- That is the most accurate statement in the world!!! My hats off to you Rowuk!!!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am a member of the American Federation of Musicians and proud of it. To me, not that much different than the American Board of Pediatrics or the American Board of Internal Medicine other than the fact the AFM actually got me some gigs. Can't say that about the ABIM or ABP.

One does not need to be licensed to be in a profession. I learned in medical school (Social and Ethical Issues in Medicine) that a profession involves: An individual with a specialized knowledge and often after completing long and intensive academic preparation; that it is a principal calling, vocation, or employment and it involves the whole body of persons engaged in a calling. We actually debate this topic in our medical school which I facilitate a couple of teams, and yes, our students do envision musicians as a profession - the other healing art.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually I do not count the natural talent musicians unless they have the natural talent of work ethic. Most of the "extremely gifted" do not turn out to be pros. They get passed relatively early on by the moderately gifted with real drive and energy. It is really a combination of things.