Professionals that struggled

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetpimp, Aug 18, 2005.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Are there any big name, professional trumpet players that struggled with their fundamentals? It seems like every big name I meet and ask about range or fundamentals said that it really tended to come pretty easy to them. It's tough for me to know who to trust when a lot of the players that we admire, although they did practice for many hours a day, pretty much developed their excellent sound, range, and ears without much struggle.

For example: I can't imagaine Wayne Bergeron would be a really good person to study with to help develop your high range since he was playing double B's and C's in grade 7 and 8. If it came natural to him how would he know what it takes to learn to play high? If you've already got a searing double G he would be great to talk about how to lead the band but I don't imagine he's going to help you learn how to play that G. Y'know?

Are there any professional trumpet players that struggled through range and response issues before figuring out what it take to play well with consistancy?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have heard that there was a point in time in Phil Driscolls life where he really struggled with range and endurance and somebody helped to set him straight, but I don't know how valid the story is since I got it second hand.

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I would have to say it was God Almighty that helped Mr. Driscoll with his struggles and tribulations. Praise God Almighty!!!!

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bud Herseth crashed his car, not wearing a seatbelt, flew through the windshield. Raphael Mendez was hit in the chops with a door. Al Hirt was hit in the face with a brick.

I would say those classify, they were struggling to play after their collective accidents.

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I was hit with something called "poverty" during my playing years... I was only able to recover when I realized I HAD to change careers...

although, I have to admit I didn't have a weight problem then... :lol:

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I dont think he went out the windshield. he has always said in interviews that he knocked out some teeth on the steering wheel.

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I think more pros struggled at first than we might realize. I can’t tell you how nice it is to take lessons from a pro player and hear them say “yeah I had the exact same problem when I first started working on those etudes, here is how you work it out†or “yeah, I couldn’t do that either, it took a while to work it into my playingâ€.

It makes me think there is hope for the rest of us. :lol:

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    To me, that doesn't really qualify because each of these guys already had their act together prior to the calamity, therefore, any work that they had to do towards rehabilitation was done already knowing more or less how things were supposed to work and feel. They may have struggled for a while, but they came back up to scratch.

I wonder if Maynard ever had problems with range and endurance. Doc? Snooky Young? Bobby Shew?

9. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    I know Doc used to have issues as a kid.

10. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Here’s an interesting discussion about Bob Burns from Earth Wind & Fire during his years at Indiana University studying with Bill Adam. Scroll down to the post by PH.

And here is another post by PH about the struggles that he and Charly Davis had getting into music school. And this one from Billy B.

It’s very possible to achieve great things with the proper instruction and the right work ethic!