Progression of trumpet books?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Although I could probably spend a lifetime of trumpet playing using nothing beyond Arbans', clarke, and Irons books (I have many others) wondering if anyone has a good list of books to utilize as one progresses from beginner to intermediate to advanced, etc.?

A lot of material out there seems to be either very elementary or very redundant from one book to the other. Just wondering if someone might have a good list of materials with a progression in mind. I think there have been other posts on various books, but I don't recall seeing anything with a recommended progressions.

2. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny

Do you mean method books or etude books. I am not quite sure what you mean. The books you mention are A few good books I have come across

- The Vizzutti Books (Some good material- different then other methods)

-Colins Advanced Lip Slurs (great all around for sluring)

* -W. M. Smith (the preparatory exercises are fantastic for range and with many advanced etudes it's a great buy)

-The Stevens-Costello Method (interesting reading but not too useful for me right now)

-Hering Etude Books- 36 and 40 etudes (intermediate level one page studies)

Beginners

-Walter Beeler Method Books (1 and 2) (great for a fairly new player)

Hope this helps.:-)

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I'd say you need a modern scale book... Arban is pretty light on scales & scale patterns. I'd suggest Rich Willey's "Scale Force" and then so all of Rich's stuff using all the scale modes in Haerle's "Scales for Jazz Improvisation".

Also, you need an etude book... maybe two. Concone & Charlier.

If you can play all the Arban, Irons, Clarke (some guys have now adapted Clarke to play in all 12 keys, and major/minor), Charlier, & Concone then I think you would have the makings of a solid foundation of trumpet fundamentals... then you can start attacking repetoire for an orchestra/solo guy, or improvisation/lead for a commercial/show/studio guys.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Smith book alluded to above is Top Tones. The Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies are a must. At this point it becomes maintenance, etudes and repertoire.

5. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    In regards to the earlier question... I think I thought about it because I was at the music store checking on a book and saw that they had elemental studies for trumpet specifically geared towards Jazz... I thought they looked interesting, but sort of elementary. And historically the elemental study type books might be book 1, book 2, book 3. Just thinking that there might be a collection of resources that you suggest for someone that is Grade/Middle school, High School, College, Post College/Pro.

Probably not that simple. I've seen some etude books that are 'progressive' in nature, and just thought it is a nice way to see yourself progress from easier to harder. Maybe an extra motivation tool to help guide progress.

Of course speaking of books I did find, somewhat accidentally, a piano book that actually did a good job of breaking down all of the chords, arpeggios, scales across all 12 keys, etc. that looked very good and tied into some theory that I am working on where I am having to duplicate my efforts on piano in addition to trumpet.

In the end just looking for ways to keep motivated and refreshed while approaching it in my typical scientific approach of following a strategy.

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Schlossberg is also a great way to torture a trumpet player :p

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you can find them, Harold Mitchell's Trumpet Method will take one through all keys, and at the end, dancing around g above the c above the staff. More torture than Schlossberg, and humbling.

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If you don't mind On Line books, The New Arban brings the Arban up to date. Worth a look.