progression with lip slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    When I was busy practicing I realized something, I need to record it every day
    I mean a sound recording, but then I need some expensive mic and pre amp which cost a lot.

So that's Plan B in case I can't find anything else (I wanted to buy that stuff anyway for a long time for making recordings)

In the mean time I'm open for suggestions for a plan A

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You would get excellent results doing your recording with a handheld Zoom unit. Mics, preamps ... they're all inside the little units. A few hundred dollars. Over time, you could compare the recordings ....

Turtle

3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Well I thought of that but I need a unit that can handle the loudness, has less character, and use it in all kinds of situation (live on stage and at home) as a microphone.
    Not just for recording.

So the ribbon mic from cascade would be my first choice
    Ribbon Microphones - Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD

I don't have a pre amp selected yet...have to do more research on that.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. If you are not new, then use Chapter III of the Colins Lip Flexibilities book or the Irons book. They are very progressive in range and difficulty and tempo. You definately know you are making progress as you move through those books. The Irons book also has a good section on the mechanics of what you need to do an exact prescription for the progression.

BB

5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Jelle je hebt een Nederlandse naam dus ik vermoed dat je Nederlands bent? :p By musicallin zou je al gauw een goede mic kunnen kopen voor een paar tientjes, ik heb er zelf ook een.

Some Dutch to Jelle since I assume he's Dutch, because of his name, translation is basicly: in a big Dutch music store you will be able to buy a decent mic for a couple of ten bucks.

6. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Well, the thing is, I have 2 studio's at my disposal and available to play so I want a good ribbon mic so I can record brass instruments, guitar etc. so I think this is the best option.

Groeten uit Friesland ;)

7. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I'm jealous, I want a studio :eek:. You should try one before you buy anyway. I sometimes record lessons as well, just to remind myself of everything and make a record of some basic training stuff every week (the Caruso-like exercises).

Groeten uit Leiden :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012