Progression!?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, May 9, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The beauty, and surprise, of this is that you often don't see the change coming. The rotten things sneak up on you, and one day you think - poop - I couldn't get that yesterday, and now it's a snack - what happened, who am I, who bought my soul.

I've got to the point where I test myself - I have one piece of music - a simple trumpet solo "Londonderry Aire" (Danny Boy) and strangely it has a number of just so slightly awkward parts in it - some quick descending progressions, an octave jump, some piano, some slurring, some gentle accents, and I have NEVER played it correctly.

Oh, I've got the notes correctly but there is always some little bit that niggles at me, so I work on that - last night, after your initial post, and band practice, I came home and NAILED it. I was so pleased with myself I went to bed a happy boy - mind you, I'm mostly happy - I don't have enough years left to waste them being miserable. ;-)

Remember, there is light at the end of the tunnel - just be careful which tunnel. :-P

2. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area

Reread the askers post he said he has been playing for 18 months.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes genius, I got that part - go back and read what I said about that in my post that you quoted. I also referenced the 18 months in my post in this thread previous to that one.

What I don't know is if they are approaching the horn as a kid, or as an adult coming to the instrument later in life - it makes a difference in how to formulate a response. I've been playing trumpet for about 30 years, so if I'm talking to an adult player, it's going to be a bit different than talking to a middle school or high school kid because the expectation and level of patience is considerably different between the three.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I answer posts in a similiar context as trickg -- if they are adult, then I expect they have some patience, discipline, and reasonable goals. --If they are in there teens, then I consider they want high notes, and don't have the same aptitude and discipline to practice several hours a day.

whether that assessment is fair or not -- is only my opinion

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    18 months - with my diaper analogy, we are looking at 6 to 12 months left - if he regularly fills his pants and the teacher potty trains.