Projection: one trumpet vs another

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I recently pulled out my old Mercedes II today after having played the my Xeno exclusively for the last 4 or 5 mos. The Merc actually sounds very good. Maybe better (or perhaps just different) compared to the Xeno. The Merc seems to project the sound further out whereas I hear more sound coming back at me with the Xeno. I think it makes the Merc feel as if it takes less effort to play because it throws the sound so far. The Merc II is also a bit brighter. My comparisons were done with the exact same 3C mouthpiece. Anyway, I'm just curious about a couple of things:

1. The Merc II has a shorter distance from the leadpipe to where the main tuning slide enters the 3rd valve (22.75" vs 23.75") but a longer bell (27.25" vs 26.25"). How does this affect the sound of a horn?

2. I'm guessing the Merc II is a "lightweight" horn. Does this cause the sound the be brighter or project differently?

3. Does anyone know how the bell flare on the Merc II and Xeno 8335S compare to the Bach Strads (i.e. 37, 43, 72, etc.)? I cannot see a visible difference between the Merc II and the Xeno except that the very end of the bell on the Merc II is smaller (4 5/8" vs 4 3/4").

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Um. The More the horn weighs the darker the sound will be, which is why monette trumpets are like 50 LBS but thats another story lol. And the Merc Might and the Xeno might be exact opposit of what you are thinking lol I have a NY Xeno and my teacher told me it sounds quiter becuase it is actoly projecting further. I would say have someone stand at like one end of a hall way and you at the other and have them tell you which is louder from a distance. Also the Longer bell and shorter Leadpipe thing, im not entirly sure about that one.

Hope It helped

Justin

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ric,
    forget it. Your eyes tell you NOTHING. The differences are much more than skin deep.
    The materials are different, the temper of the bell is different, the braces are different, the shape is different, the thickness is different.
    If you are really interested in the real deal, you can devote your whole life to metallurgy, fluid dynamics, art, and many other disciplines.

As much as the ad people try to make normal people think that they really understand something, most of what they spew are myths or outright lies.

Here is a great deal of what over 40 years of research has taught me:

http://www.TrumpetMaster.com/vb/f131/how-does-trumpet-work-35827.html

There are no answers simpler than that.

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Justin, thanks for your response. The Merc sounds quieter from behind the horn but I can tell it is projecting the sound more. My wife says the volume of the two horns sounds the same from across the room. She also says (in a blind test) that the Merc sounds better. It could be that the brighter sound suits her taste. I don't plan on giving up my Xeno, but I'm sure glad my backup horn can hold its own.

Rowuk, thank you also. I realize it might have sounded like it, but I'm not trying to decipher every physical difference between these two horns in order to reconcile it to the sound difference. I was merely curious, mainly about the leadpipe and bell length differences. I'm that way. (I'm also a tinkerer at heart but i have no intention of tinkering with my horns.)

One decision I'll have to make soon is which horn to use for an upcoming trumpet solo at my church. It's a short one, but I want it to sound as good as possible. I'll be on a 2nd-floor balcony behind the congregation. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I may go try both horns when the church is empty.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Xeno is hundreds of times better than any Mercedes II. No questions for me.

Check the link out. there are no valid simple answers.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I suspect that the venue will sound different without any people in it to modify the sound and absorb some reflections .... take care.

7. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Good point . . . I think I'll just play the Xeno.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Both will sound like a trumpet! The differences we trumpet players hear or try to hear or think we hear won't matter to the vast majority of listeners. Play the horn you like to play and make good music and your congregation will love it!