Projection or feedback?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just wondered about this as I play different horns. Can you have a trumpet that has good feedback & projection, or are these mutually exclusive terms?

Often I record parts of my practice and notice that there is not much difference in sound even playing different horns. But the sound that my ears hear from behind the bell tells a different story.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good question. I'd like to know that too.

The relationship between the player and where the sound goes is very unusual for trumpet (compared to most instruments). Most of the sound is intended to go forward but that's not where the player's ears are.

Also, since I think it was established in another thread that "tone" projects further than "volume", working on tone helps projection. Does it also help feedback? It's always been my feeling that to play an instrument well, you need to hear it well in different situations. And how can you improve feedback?

Turtle

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It seems that the easiest way to get feedback is by using a trumpet with a lightweight bell, at least this has been my experience.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Actually, you get some vibrational feeback, right in your face, that you don't really get with a lot of instruments. Like guitar, piano .....but a cello or bass player really feels it through the wood. That kind of feedback helps a little bit.

Turtle

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    the reason you hear no difference is probably the microphone you have. If you're using a basic mic that can't capture all the overtones and colors of different horns, you won't hear it when it's recorded.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, this may explain part of it. The mic is a $50 Shure model. And the speakers on the laptop leave a lot to be desired. There is a difference when listening to the 3 trumpets recorded, just a subtle difference.

And the player feedback varies greatly from horn to horn.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They are not mutually exclusive. The player is the limiting factor. Weak chops/breathing mean that the horn has to give more feedback. The lack of projection is not the horns fault, rather the player.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've never encountered that problem. The sound I hear at my end of the bell matches the recorded sound. My biggest issue is with volume--sometimes I'll be way too loud without realizing it. The three trumpet and organ CD that I played on was recorded in surround sound (an experiment for the German studio; the release was in stereo) and sounded amazing in playback (hearing 3-D space rather than 2-D)!

The sound didn't change though.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB, post a picture of your horn. I have never heard mine at the end of the bell while playing it!:evil: