Projection

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by J. Jericho, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    To Rowuk,

I do enjoy your posts. In many ways you remind me of Reynold Schilke. Your advice is always sound. You commented, accurately so, about the crazies that run marching bands. I have several high school students who are in marching band. I tell them all the same thing...play only while standing in place. Never march and play at the same time. I also told them if the director has an issue with that advice to call me personally. I just do not understand why any qualified instructor put their students at risk like that. When I was in the Indiana University Marching Band, I watched a really good player step into a rut, causing him to fall and knock out his 2 upper and 2 lower front teeth. Back then there wasn't a viable fix and he ended up quitting school. Any way, thanks for all the good advice and the time and interest you put into this sight.

Mike Fesi

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Thank you, rowuk, for your insightful comments.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Michael,

there is not really a problem with marching band per se. When properly and adequately rehearsed, it is simply an addition to our skillset. It is generally in a controlled environment so I think that the danger is not very great. The problem is when testosterone from the "project leader" whether that be the bandleader, sectionleader or choreographer comes into play. If we watch military tattoos, we see how wonderful this type of music can really be. If this is our model, everything should be OK. All the kids get the music 8 weeks before the project start and have their parts committed to MEMORY BEFORE the first field rehearsal. The focus remains on quality of sound and the choreography remains within the capabilities of the participating students. Blastmasters should be criticized for not being teamplayers not used as examples of how to play.

Playing outdoors presents tremendous challenges. Forcing musicians to reliably differentiate between left and right feet is even a greater issue! If we as players do not have a resonant sound as a given, projection is an issue and there is NOTHING short term that can fix that.

There is a drill sergeant mentality with some bands, and that can turn into a major problem for some. On the other hand, many kids thrive on challenge and marching band or DCI are a big part of that.

Kind of off subject, sorry.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

I would use a Schilke 14A4A or Monette BL and precision laser drill holes in the bottom of the glass, letting the wine flow out at its own natural pace.

5. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England

I was looking at getting a Heavytop (can't afford a new horn at the moment so I'll take a new mpc!), how would you rate the 4X?

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It does what it does. The intonation and lower register performance feel a little better for me than some other screamers I've tried (not that many). Seems to work best on the heavier models (aforementiond Holton and my Yamaha 6335HS). Not really my area to be honest. I get a much broader and more useful bunch of colours off my DW 2.

7. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I found my Committee cornet projects a lot more than it seems from my end. I played a feature piece this past summer at an outdoor venue and was worried about whether I was being hearr above the full band. After hearing the recording made from probably 50 feet from the band, I was soaring above an entire 90 piece concert band while it felt to me that I was being covered up by the low brass. The venue stunk. No shell, very sterile open environment surrounded by buildings. You can't hear across the band.