Proper Body Usage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lucas65653, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Lucas65653

Lucas65653 New Friend

Aug 2, 2015
    I've seen a large number of posts saying that a trumpet player isn't using their body properly. What exactly IS that? Does it pertain to posture? What is the correct body usage?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Did you google "body use" trumpet?

It is much more than posture. Just someone saying it is pretty useless as just like playing the trumpet, you need to practice all of its facets to automate it. The Monette website has some pretty good pictures,

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, I have been a month into working out on my home gym and have concentrated every day at putting in an hour of exercises on my Bowflex that tone the chest and abs. I finish that off with 20 minutes on the elliptical (listening to Latin jazz of course that I also pipe into the gym on my Sonos system). This work out has really made my playing easier. I think toning the body has done wonders for it's proper usage, as well as my enhanced appreciation for Latin jazz.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here you have it. Better body usage from a great work out:
    [​IMG]

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Gmonady, is every room in your home impeccably neat? LOL!

I've always felt that I play better if I'm maintaining a regular exercise regimen, particularly with resistance training. With that said, I'm likely one of the worst offenders when it comes to posture and body usage. I'm not totally terrible about it, but I know I could do better.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    My home-gym setup is a bit simpler.

A power rack, a 0-90 ° bench, 60- 120 lb dumbbell, a 12 inch box, tractor tires, a full set of bands, and lots of plates.

[​IMG]

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow! Talk about heavy metal! You must need a folk lift to take that weighted bar off the rack!

8. Lucas65653

Lucas65653 New Friend

Aug 2, 2015
    Thank you the monetize website was really helpful

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Monetize the Monette, yeah!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Monette website is very helpful and one does not need to monetize anything to reap benefits. Every client gets exposure to Yoga, Alexander Technique and now Feldenkrais. All directly address body use and attitude - not only good for our trumpet playing.

My point is different. Body use is not a "thing" like embouchure, breathing or posture alone. It is the connection of a lot of things that are generally good for us. Once that we know what they are about, there are a lot of possibilities. It cannot be explained in 2000 words or less.