Proper Body Usage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lucas65653, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Lucas65653

Lucas65653 New Friend

Aug 2, 2015
    The monette website helped me a lot and I don't know if it's psychological or what but it really helped my playing.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The cheapo Vulgano version of the Alexander Technique is simply to keep our head as far from our fanny as possible.

bumblebee likes this.
  3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    For many of us that may be all it takes. What I have noticed is that, whenever tension creeps in, remembering to do just this simple thing (realign the spine) will pull most of the rest of "body use" back in the right direction. The next level is to prevent tension from building in the first place of course.

Some of it is just division of attention. The body use part is a baseline level of awareness that is non negotiable. No matter what the music or other factors are, it must always be there. Kind of like the "fly the airplane first" applicable to all aviation situations. If it's not happening, whatever else is there can only get worse. With the trumpet, it is quite easy to get distracted from the "keep the body straight" part, when things get more difficult, and then everything just goes down the drain. Proper body use is actually not all that hard to understand, it really reveals itself when we try with a little guidance. Doing it all the time can be a challenge.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I won't deny that a regimen of physical exercise would make trumpet / cornet playing easier, but I'm hesitant about stating that it would becoming better. I'm now a "physical wreck the body shop can't restore". Still, I enjoy my playing and some others enjoy it also.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ed,
    not every quality player "pays attention" to body use. It is simply a very good way for those struggling to eliminate or at least reduce a potential thing to blame. The most important discovery is how little energy that we actually need to play and how correct body use can help achieve that state.