Proper hand positioning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jorto131, Jun 28, 2011.

1. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    +1. And, the pinky should either "float" in the air or rest lightly on top of the pinky hook/ring.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Absolutely! That is also the hardest part for me (usually use it as my "octave key");-).

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I'm not sure if there is a proper technique since everyone is not built the same. I just see it as "different strokes, for different folks". Everybody has different opinions and we can use the normal physiological function of a hand as a baseline to explain best muscle movement and fingering coordination. Just keep in mind that most trumpet players start out at a very young age when their hands are not fully grown to their adult size. During their progression they will develop what best fits them individually.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I dunno kiddies, I still detect a bit too much rigidity here. I still think there should be a certain amount of the "what feels best for you" here.
    Many years ago when I first started taking lessons my teacher did not care for my placement of my fingertips on the valve buttons and started putting me through a form of torture wherrin he put dimes under my fingertips and insisted that they stay there in place while I played.He gave up eventually to my great relief.:-P

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I hate the thumb tip between the 1st and 2nd casings. I feel like an uptight Brit having tea or something.

Mine rests under the lead pipe and I have had no issues with technique including Clark's.

The pinky jammed around the hook is a far greater limit to the hand's proper mobility than my thumb, at least in my particular hand shape. I rest it on top.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    tobylou8 likes this.