Proper placement of mouthpiece on lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eviln3d, Aug 26, 2013.

1. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    A bit curious as I'm dealing with a daughter that has now decided to play trumpet and her band director that is preaching centered 50/50 as the end all be all of proper playing... I know that I don't play 50/50, for me its a bit more bottom than top... I noticed when watching a view videos of other players that good many are not 50/50 nor even centered... Just wondered how other players felt about this issue.

I have been trying to work with my daughter to explain that everyone is different and she needs to find the position that works best for her to get a good tone... unfortunately for me, she seem to think a band director that plays a trombone is more knowledgeable than a dad that has played a trumpet for more years than the band director has even been alive is clueless.

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Get some parent friends of yours who may also play trumpet and let them observe her playing and her mouthpiece placement to counteract what her trombonist director thinks and tells her. How old is she and what's her playing history?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My response is that band director is a perfect A-hole... 50% right and 50% left buttock cheek that was used to come up with that type of reasoning.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Give me the name and address of your school superintendent. I am going to place your name into nomination as the lead candidate for the new band director of your daughter's school system.

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I would talk to the band director. He/she may really enjoy having an engaged and knowledgable parent involved and you might find yourself receiving requests to provide some guest tutoring/mentoring of other brass players - trust me, it can and does happen!

As to feelings on 50/50: I push students to have "tasty tone, perfect pitch, awesome attacks, eternal endurance and rocking range"...in that decreasing order. Wherever the mouthpiece has to be in order to make that happen, that's where it goes.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, the 50% right and 50% left buttock cheek configuration defines the perfect A-hole.

7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I'm just curious if you have spoken directly with the band director. It may be possible that he is suggesting this position as a "starting point" for a newly developing student, rather than a hard and fast rule which may make some sense.

Does your daughter feel comfortable in this position? Does she produce a good tone in this placement?

Does your daughter have a trumpet teacher (besides yourself) and what does he suggest?

There seem to be many opinions as to "proper mouthpiece placement" but I think that many good teachers advocate what works best for an individual as long as it is not too unorthodox to the point that it will interferes with future development. I think that the only "wrong" approach would to be to force someone into a position that is un-natural, but perhaps some experienced trumpet teachers on this forum will chime in with their approach.......

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I play quite markedly low and it is right for me but unless someone sorts this idiot director out then he is going to ruin a lot of players.

9. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Sadly I think there are going to be a lot of kids that get messed up. I was also pleased to find that the director decided based on having each kid try a trombone, trumpet, flute and clarinet, and then noting which one they could make a sound on as to what instrument they should play... Lord know if I hadn't been letting my daughter play around on a trumpet before school started she may have been stuck on one of those lessor instruments... But it blew my mind... I had to wonder if Bill Chase had this idiot for a band director would he have ever been able to pick up a trumpet.

10. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Not yet. I'm expecting to see him sometime this week for a heart to heart.

As she isn't that far along she doesn't seem to feel any more comfortable in one position than another, I'm simply basing suggestion to her to move the mouthpiece based on where she is able to be a better tone with less air... Seems that her best tone comes from less upper than lower lip.

No teacher as of yet. Was hoping to avoid that at the beginning, though I have found that my old trumpet professor lives in an adjoining town so I'm tempted to see if he might be tired of being retired and be willing to endure teaching once more.