Proper placement of mouthpiece on lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eviln3d, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    From my perspective that's a bunch of arrant flapdoodle. I've always played with the mouthpiece toward my right side. Whatever works and however she feels comfortable producing the best tone.
    You know who this is, right?

[​IMG]

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I agree - just imagine how much better Chris Botti would sound if he fixed his mouthpiece placement. (And in case anybody is interested, I am about 50/50 myself, but a bit to the left.)

--bumblebee

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I remember very well an old cornettist in CornyAndy's old band (though long before his time I think), who played out of the extreme right-hand corner of his mouth. Suspect it might have been the only place he had any teeth left. But it worked for him.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That was a couple of decades ago, but most of the players had more on the bottom lip. Most of the players used both lips, though.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    And I'm getting tired of the default position of internet forum members towards band directors as their being morons.

Maybe I missed it - if I did, mea culpa - but so far, the OP has not spoken to the band teacher and we have no idea what that band director's intentions were.

Also, the OP is likewise quick to diss the band director. We all (hopefully) love our children, but they do not always come home from school with the same understanding of some things that their teachers left them with. Who knows exactly what the band director said?

If he did give the kids the direction to play 50/50 this is not bad advice for them in their first few weeks of learning. Having had a private teaching studio, I've had some kids come to me with some pretty crazy embouchures and breath usages that they picked up by themselves. Which is better in the beginning of a group instruction; to send them home with - "put the mouthpiece at a 50/50 position", (which can be used later as a point of reference) or, "hey, there are a ton of different embouchures, so go home and just come up with something you think will work and come back next week"?

Maybe the band teacher really is a moron. Shouldn't we give him/her a chance to prove it himself, before falling guilty to the default position that, although we have only half the story - if that much - that the teacher is an idiot?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm so good that I can play with both lips tied behind my back!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That must be the pivot head technique. I'd have to see and hear it, to believe it. I have heard a keyboardist play with his hands behind his back (but that wasn't so great, but doable).

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Pops McLaughlin has a Youtube video out that is specific to proper mouthpiece placement for TRUMPET. I have had all my students watch this video because it is FULL of good information on proper placement and assists in finding your sweet spot. Not only may you want your daughter to watch this, (after you approve of it), you should forward it to the band director……

9. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I met him last night... It was an interesting meeting where it began with him talking to all of the parents and trying to calm down parents and kids that had been informed that their child needed to play something because he knew best. It was very telling when he explained that he had wanted to play the trumpet when he was a kid but the band director made him play the trombone instead. He claimed he was glad it had happened to him.... I couldn't help but laugh, but it explained a lot. Because the idiot had weak pantywaist parents that wouldn't stand up for their kid he now thinks it is his turn to play God lord of the music... So, while I was skeptical that I was getting the full story from my daughter or could have been getting a slanted version, it was clear at that point that no he was indeed a moron.

I've explained now to my daughter that she needs to listen to me for advice on how to play the trumpet and simply play what the director wants them to play in class.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In defense of the director, you have to start somewhere and 50/50 is smack dab in the middle. It's the same logic that says the Bach 7C is the beginners mpc. It's simply in the middle diameter wise, that's all and is a starting point. I play 35/65 centered because that's where the good stuff happens. If she has poor tone, you might work with her to change. Teacher's are always "smarter" than parents. Been there,done that! :D