Proper placement of mouthpiece on lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eviln3d, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Bauerbear

Bauerbear Mezzo Piano User

Jul 11, 2012
    Winter Park, FL
    My placement is 50/50 but my high school band director, who was a brass player (tuba, French horn and trumpet), taught me to spread my lips way out to the very edges of the mouthpiece to get a very open sound. Basically I have a gap large enough to put my finger between my lips while playing. He also taught me to open up the back of my throat ("the golf ball method"). I'm usually complemented on my sound but this lip positioning does limit my range, I can't play much above high C.

I'm having a hard time expressing this to my two nieces who are young trumpet players, one 9th grade, the other 6th.

I know I've played with some guys that use a different embouchure for high notes than low notes. They "reset" their embouchure, sometimes while playing a running musical line, based on where they are playing on the staff. An annoying habit.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Bauerbear,
    You stated:
    "I know I've played with some guys that use a different embouchure for high notes than low notes. They "reset" their embouchure, sometimes while playing a running musical line, based on where they are playing on the staff. An annoying habit".
    --------------------------
    There's more than just a few trumpet players out there (that are really good) that use a different set when they are in the stratosphere. If I read your post correctly, you can't play much above high C. To my thinking, it's great that you can play with confidence up to high C. However, I don't know if "annying habit" is the best choice of words for someone that can play musically up to and above DHC simply by changing their set.
    Dr.Mark

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Many players evolve their own way through the empiricism of trial and error. Whatever works for them.

4. Bauerbear

Bauerbear Mezzo Piano User

Jul 11, 2012
    Winter Park, FL
    My problem is, they take their mouth away from the horn and stop playing in the middle of a line.

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Just let that be THEIR problem.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Bauerbear,
    You stated:
    "My problem is, they take their mouth away from the horn and stop playing in the middle of a line."
    -----------
    I don't think that has to do with placement. For me, that would have had more to do with breath control and timing. I use to be the type of person that used two different sets, one for the normal register (low F# to approx G above the staff) and one for the upper register (approx G above the staff to dhc). How I did it was to know when I needed to change and make sure I did the change during a rest. It could be as small as a quarter note rest but that was enough time to get it done. If it was a situation where I had to go from (for example) low C to F or G above high C and there were no rests, then I would play the entire passage with my upper register setting. Do I do that now? No. But many do. I can not validate this but I remember hearing or reading that Arturo Sandoval uses two different settings.
    Dr.Mark

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See kehaulani, my intuition wins again... It's a gift... feel free to acknowledge it.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lets have faith in our youthful trumpet players that report back to their loving fathers. I do. I am a pediatrician and believe in our youth, and she IS a trumpet player so IS totally believable.:-P

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I'm not trying to pile on here ,,,,,,,BUT! There is So many things wrong with this guy , Who does he think he is ?Deciding who plays what ? That's a great formula for having half of the kids quit.

I think i would put a friendly word in the ear of the Admin.? ASAP,, stressing the point that a child can certainly decide why and what he wants to play without someone trying to right a personal childhood dream? Let's be honest ,,there is nothing stopping him from starting to play a trumpet if that's his wish.

I hope your student stays with her instrument and begins to enjoy it .

Gl

Dean-0

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oh man, did I jump in here too late!

First of all, any of you that are still using the embouchure that you started with, please step forward!

Hehe, I thought so.

What the hell is the difference if we START with 50/50, 60/40 or 30/70?

My take is that IF we are paying attention to the really important stuff (daily routine, flexibility studies, lipslurs), the embouchure gravitates to its most efficient position. 50/50 can prevent anchoring at an early stage and I would start there. Not dogmatically or painfully, rather with a constant gentle push as a teacher.

Again we are back to the notion that embouchure is the silver bullet and that it unlocks range, sound and the future of "my" child. Bullshit with a capital B (I think that was a tune by Tower of Power).

In any case, dad, I am NOT on your side or the teachers side as I have never seen your daughter play. With the current parental antics, I think that you have reduced the chances for success in this lose/lose situation.

I really hate embouchure threads. Everyone seems only to have their own agenda at heart. I have no proof that they were ever good for anything either.